• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's focus on Suburus for a second.

wa-loaf

I have a 5 sp and I can't make a direct comparison for snow, but the AT really sucks the fun out of the Outback.

mlctvt

Okay, question. I believe I read somewhere on here that Subie's are prone to having either the distributor cap or head gasket blow near abouts 100K miles and that it's a fairly expensive fix.

The reason I ask is I have a 2004 Legacy Wagon, 4 cyl with 89K miles. Just want to know if this is a repair I can expect to have to make and if so the typical cost.

I'm not sure what years had the Head gasket problem but I think it was before 2002 model year. Check out the forums on www.legacygt.com for lots of great information on all Legacys.

ComeBackMudPuddles

All I can say is WTF. That design is the probably the ugliest Subaru ever. Looks like an even uglier Camry.
My wife and I are major Subaru fans, we have two 2005 Subarus. A Legacy GT wagon 5MT and a WRX wagon. If this is the new design we'll probably just keep ours forever or get something else.

I think it's hot!!! Bout time Subie got some cool looking lines to them

sorry, pee pee, but i've got to concur with mlctvt....that concept is pretty fugly and there's nothing, imo, "cool" about it....

granted, it's always wrong to judge a car only by pictures. bmw's new X6 looks pretty horrendous in pictures, but, in real life, it's pretty bad-a**.

BeanoNYC

I have a 5 sp and I can't make a direct comparison for snow, but the AT really sucks the fun out of the Outback.

My wife doesn't drive stick, plus living in a congested area pretty much dictates an AT for me. That being said, I make good use out the the sports shift in many situations. (Slippery roads, passing another car, windy roads) It does make up (just a bit) for the complete lack of feel of an AT.

Last edited:

campgottagopee

sorry, pee pee, but i've got to concur with mlctvt....that concept is pretty fugly and there's nothing, imo, "cool" about it....

granted, it's always wrong to judge a car only by pictures. bmw's new X6 looks pretty horrendous in pictures, but, in real life, it's pretty bad-a**.

Pictures really don't do the car justice---I've seen the car and stand by SA_WEET

Philpug

I am interested in what they do with the Outback in this redesign.

I did a 2 year lease on my Forester, knowing the diesel was on the way. If diesel stays w/in 1.00 of gas and the diesel isn't more than 2K over the gas motor (about the price of the XT), there is a very good chance that will be my next Subie. Or... I will get a used 05-06 Leg GT and a Miata for about the same $$.

wa-loaf

My wife doesn't drive stick, plus living in a congested area pretty much dictates an AT for me. That being said, I make good use out the the sports shift in many situations. (Slippery roads, passing another car, windy roads) It does make up (just a bit) for the complete lack of feel of an AT.

My wife was more insistent on sticking with a 5spd than I was. One of the reasons I married her.

I had a loaner for a day with the sport shift. Maybe I just didn't get the feel for it, but I couldn't really tell what gear I was in at the moment so I just stuck it in auto.

BeanoNYC

I had a loaner for a day with the sport shift. Maybe I just didn't get the feel for it, but I couldn't really tell what gear I was in at the moment so I just stuck it in auto.

True...you can't tell by position, only feel. I really only use it to drop gears, so that's not an issue. If I'm coming on an icy curve, I'll pop it down a gear. It's pretty much an knee jerk reaction. This is the third vehicle that I've had with this kind of transmission. It's a nice compromise.