• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat 04Feb08 (short report)

Edd

Driving North on 16 I looked up at Mt Washington and saw a small cloud hanging out stationary near the peak...not moving...no wind...good sign.

Had an unexplained knee problem develop this week so I was wearing a brace for the first time ever. It was distracting on the first few runs and with the warm day I started sheddding layers, opening vents, screwing with my boots....just couldn't get it together in the morning. Conditions were mildly scratchy but nothing to complain about. I was on carving skis freshly tuned. The knee was distracting me and I just wasn't skiing the way I wanted to. Not good with trail names there but I was hitting trails randomly; there were a few good ungroomed runs there with small, naturally occurring bumps.

It was a GORGEOUS day, Mt Washington was clear as a bell and the slopes were empty. Took a break and there were no more than six people in the bar the whole time. Had a couple beers and everyone talked about the game. Agreed to take a few runs with another guy skiing solo.

Stepped out and the sun was even stonger! Snow softening up. Every run that afternoon was perfect. Took control of my form and the snow conditions approached effortless (connection?). I was so happy to be there.

Wildcat seems to be in good shape right now. If you go I hope you luck out with the conditions like I did. It is such a great mountain. Some of the longest, most winding trails in New England.