• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The news just makes me laugh

ALLSKIING

Staff member
All they can talk about is the storm....A big 3 inches. School closing,Over 100 accidents, Problems with bicycles in the city:blink: I could go on...They act like we are all going to die.:lol:

BeanoNYC

Meh...It wasn't really the accumulation that made the commute tough, it was the iced up roads. Either way, they love to make a big stink when the white stuff falls. We just eat up that state of panic they create regardless of the reason.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Meh...It wasn't really the accumulation that made the commute tough, it was the iced up roads. Either way, they love to make a big stink when the white stuff falls. We just eat up that state of panic they create regardless of the reason.
Got next week off? Where are you headed?

bigbog

...Another gem comes from the Weather Channel!;-)

I think it must of been ~1 month ago, early morning shift of Weather Channel. Young woman, definitely from the South....following an overnight 2" dusting in the Chicago area. "...and people around Chicago are digging out from the two inches that fell last night!..."
...I think that'll stay at the top of my laughter list for a while....
Enjoy watching that channel, right on top of data <--> info...but you'll catch a distinct Southerner line here & there....;-)

Last edited:

powderfreak

I think it must of been ~1 month ago, early morning shift of Weather Channel. Young woman, definitely from the South....following an overnight 2" dusting in the Chicago area. "...and people around Chicago are digging out from the two inches that fell last night!..."
...I think that'll stay at the top of my laughter list for a while....
Enjoy watching that channel, right on top of data <--> info...but you'll catch a distinct Southerner line here & there....;-)

That's what happens when your based out of Atlanta. 2" requires digging...

All they can talk about is the storm....A big 3 inches. School closing,Over 100 accidents, Problems with bicycles in the city:blink: I could go on...They act like we are all going to die.:lol:

I believe it..there are so many idiot drivers here in PA who drive in heavy snow with their headlights off..pull out into oncoming traffic with barely any room..tailgate..and..accelerate like they were dry. I'm alot more comfortable skiing in deep snow than driving in it so I take it easy..I saw at least 3 totalled cars yesterday and I'm sure some people died in car accidents that could have been prevented.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
There should be two driver's licenses/tests. One for snow, one for "the rest of the year". You could be arrested for driving without your snow license. What a business we could drum up, those with snow licenses could make a lot of money delivering milk and bread during the height of the 6" "storm of the year".

I've always been a big advocate of teaching everyone (including my kids) how to drive in snow. Go somewhere safe and slippery and hilly. Slam on the brakes. Turn hard at speed. Go up the icy incline. Drive in the loose snow, then drive on the hardpack. Too many people have a lot of classroom hours studying winter driving and no clue what it feels like in real life.

I think we should offer an winter driver rehabilitation course run by the AZ team!

Warp Daddy

BILLSKI as you know "Winter Driving " is kinda De regeur here in the North Country where we get 9 months of winter and 3 months of Bad Sledding :D :D :D

I do agree too many damn fools out there thinking their bulletproof in their Big ole Suv or Bad ass Pickup

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
BILLSKI as you know "Winter Driving " is kinda De regeur here in the North Country where we get 9 months of winter and 3 months of Bad Sledding :D :D :D

I do agree too many damn fools out there thinking their bulletproof in their Big ole Suv or Bad ass Pickup

Now wait a minute. You do get to see dry pavement in August ;)

And of course, NNY'ers get their "Winter Driver's License" by default.

There are a lot of real nice machines out there in the hands of children.

I think metro Boston crowd should have ignition kill switches that don't allow the vehicle to roll below 32F.. 8)

KevinF

There should be two driver's licenses/tests. One for snow, one for "the rest of the year".

I grew up near Phliadelphia, but my Dad grew up in Bangor, Maine. He refused to let me take my "official" driver's license test until I passed his. And I dare say that Dad's driver's test was substantially harder then the official one -- i.e., it involved lots of winter driving. I'm by no means great at driving in the snow, but it doesn't really bother me that much.