• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shawnee Peak - February 14th, 2008 (pics)

salsgang

Date(s) Skied: February 14th, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Shawnee Peak

Conditions: LG, some PP and Hard Pack

Trip Report: Took the day off from work to watch son #1 participate in the Maine State Junior Ski Club Championships and get a few turns in. Weather was great. Upper 20's, Lower 30's, light winds and beautiful sunshine.

You had to stick the groomers. Shawnee got hit hard with freezing niar after some major snow dumpage, but hats off to the groomers for chewing it up and making some very skiable terrain today. Things were firm, but as long as your edges were in good shape you were fine. Unfortunately, all that deep powder in the ungroomed was under about 3/4" of ice. Too Bad - as they have some major snow depths that could not be skied!

But overall a fun ski day and a good time watching 200 middle schoolers bomb down the mountain.

Some Pics:

A look down Upper Haggetts with Mt. Washington in the background:
20080214Shawnee1.jpg

A view of Cooley's looking down on Moose Pond:
20080214Shawnee2.jpg

Boy #1 making a GS Run:
fmsrace5.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

I was there last night. It was better than I expected with the freezing ncp that we got. To bad there is that crust because the snow depths are incredible! I just worked on top to bottom nonstop runs to help with my knee strengthening. It is doing much better. I can ski a couple of hours without any knee pain now. Sat I will try an all dayer and see how it does! Next time you are up to the peak pm me and we will have to meet up.