• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

North & South Hancock via the Standard loop 12-30-2004

Mike P.

Trails: Hancock Notch, Cedar Notch & Hancock Loop, up North, down South, 9.8 miles 2650 elevation gain.

Conditions a little light for winter, 4-8 inches of snow except in a few places on ridge near South Hancock that had small drifts 12-24 inches. Water crossings on Cedar Notch - first two avoided by obvious bushwhack which may become the winter route this year, 1st is open water & icy rocks while 2nd was a pile of snow & ice not looking very stable, 3rd & 4th crossing looked a little iffy as did the 2nd crossing on Hancock loop but they held hikers who with pack included were in excess of 260 pounds & it's been cold since so should be okay . Couple of blowdowns easily stepped over or ducked under or around.

Gear: Temps in 20's, three wore plastic boots, one was in leather 3 season without VBL or super Gaiters & when stopped for a while waiting for the group's heavyweights, his feet did get cold but heated up once he got going, 3/4's of group wore crampons up North, across ridge & down South while I wore them just on the way down. Hardcore glissaders probably could have done without them, I typically don't glissade, on the way up, a few places where I had to be careful but no place matching my 11/2004 trip up Ammo when I thought Crampons would prevent serious injury.

Additional Comments, great day, good views did not realize you could see Attiash from North Hancock but when the slopes are white, you can pick it out connected to North Moat. Another winter hike with Sherpa Kroto & first time with Doctor Woo & Wheels from VFTT. Due to airline & work I understand I missed a chanced to hike with Alpinista.

Elk Oil

Thanks for the report. I'll be going up there this weekend. How long did the trip take you?

Mike P.

We were a slow group, the 40 & 50 year old being the slowest. Started at 8:00 & came out a few minutes after 5:00. Since we were familiar with the trail we did not bother using headlamps (also the snow on the ground helped) two weeks later about 5:10 would be fine.

CT weather is expected to be very warm Thursday Night & Firday with some rain before a cold front comes through Friday afternoon/evening.

Don't know how far north the warm front will get but I would expect if anything even more ice than we had. Crampons are most likely going to a must, water crossings???? I suspect few people have nmae the first two crossings on the Cedar Brook Trail the others were kind of iffy looking but three 230 + guys + packs got over with just a little cracking so they should be fine.