• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/5-1/6 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
Started snowing in earnest in Northwest CT around 7:30 AM.

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING TO THURSDAY EVENING
UNTIL 11:10AM EST
Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Albany NY 439 AM EST Wed Jan 5 2005

1610 - Eastern Columbia NY - Eastern Dutchess NY - Eastern Greene NY - Eastern Ulster NY - Northern Litchfield CT - Southern Berkshire MA - Southern Litchfield CT - Western Columbia NY - Western Dutchess NY - Western Greene NY - Western Ulster NY - Including The Cities Of... Beacon... Catskill... Chatham... Ellenville... Great Barrington... Hudson... Hunter... Kingston... New Milford... New Paltz... Pawling... Poughkeepsie... Rhinebeck... Saugerties And Torrington

... Winter Storm Warning In Effect From This Evening To Thursday Evening...

... The National Weather Service Has Issued A Winter Storm Warning For Wednesday Night And Thursday For Greene... Columbia... Ulster... And Dutchess Counties In New York As Well As For Southern Berkshire County Massachusetts And Litchfield County Connecticut...

There Will Be Significant Accumulations Of Snow And Ice Wednesday Night And Thursday In The Southern Catskills And The Mid Hudson Region Of New York... Northwestern Connecticut And The Southern Berkshires Of Massachusetts. Snow Will Start Over The Region Early This Afternoon. It Will Become Heavier Tonight And Mix With Sleet And Freezing Rain Tonight And Thursday. Three To Six Inches Will Acumulate Before The Snow And Sleet Change To Freezing Rain... And A Significant Amount Of Ice May Accumulate On Top Of The Snow.

A Winter Storm Warning Is Issued When Severe Winter Weather Is Forecast That Will Have A Significant Impact On Life And Property, Including Significant Snow And/Or Ice Accumulations. Driving And Walking Is Likely To Become Difficult And Hazardous And Power Outages May Also Result From The Storm As Well.
Let's hope the changeover to freezing rain is short-lived or non-existent. I may go out Friday to somewhere in the Berks...

dmc

About an inch on the ground when I left Hunter Mountain this morning - temp about 29f... Local schools are doing early releases...

Hardly any snow in Albany...

JimG.

Staff member
Snowing like crazy in Hopewell Junction (just east of Poughkeepsie), but no accumulation yet. Just south and east of there, all sleet/freezing rain.

Vortex

I like these threads. Not supposed to start snow in boston until after midnight, but snowing fairly hard here at this point. 1-4 4-8 are the totals I have heard for north or concord New Hampshire no change over expexted in the White's.

bvibert

Staff member
I hope the switch over to NCP that they're predicting for around here never happens! I'm thinking of going up to Sundown tonight after work.

ctenidae

Snowing like a monkey here in Boston. Nothing's sticking yet, though. Fingers are crossed to NH.

Mmmm, fresh snow...

Greg

Staff member
Re: ALL QUIET IN ALBANY

RossiSkier said:
13:55 - Snow came through and stopped. You'd never know it snowed here. Looking at the RADAR loop on Intellicast
http://www.intellicast.com/Local/US...p=RadarImagery&product=RadarLoop&prodnav=none

Shows the main body of the storm over Lake Erie and moving East fast.
I love the Intellicast radars. I think they are slightly outdated by perhaps 30-60 minutes, but they usually do a good job of representing the rain/snow lines. Let's hope this line stays positioned exactly how it is now...

Greg

Staff member
Basically nothing accumualated here from today's snow, but it looks like 4-8" before the changeover tonight which my foolish optimism tells me isn't going to happen... ;)

sledhaulingmedic

Snow stopped here (N of Beantown) mid PM. It sounds (for now) that SoVt, Bizerkshires, Mondadnock Reg. into ME would get the most.

Figures, I'm at work tomorrow and I trashed a (#4) front Hub in my 4x4 PU and Friday is the one day I can get it squared away.. Maybe Friday night at Blue Hills?

Greg

Staff member
I will be somewhere in the Berkshires Friday for sure. Started snowing again here around 8 PM and it's pretty moderate.

skijay

Round 1 of the storm put 2 inches of snow on my driveway! Nothing stuck in Hartford, bust as I got to my house I saw the surprise. It was a wet snow and I shoveled it.

I can not wait until Thursday morning and my commute to work!

Terry

storm thread

I just watched the report here- 6 inches + for our area and no changeover to rain. Looks like a powder night tonight at Shawnee Peak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

Greg

Staff member
Just finished the first round of snowblowing. A solid 5" so far and it's still coming down moderately. Please no changeover (Fingers crossed). I'd be interested to hear what the Berkshire or Albany snow totals are as this may determine whether I ski Jiminy, Catamount, Butternut or Sundown tomorrow.

Greg

Staff member
It's now sleeting heavily here... :angry:

JimG.

Staff member
Blew 7" out of my driveway in Hopewell Junction this AM before going to work, the changeover had just started. From what I can tell, Hunter will get about the same but they are calling for a changeover to freezing rain with 1/4" of ice expected.

Well, at least it will make for the start of a bomber base in the woods!