• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

snow / winter boots - size and comfort rating question

R

rdmpe

I haven't purchased snow boots before...

I bought some youth size Kamik boots off ebay (can't remember the actual model names). I bought them one size larger than their US shoe size. Since they're growing I wanted a little room in there.

The boots are "comfort rated" for -25F or -40F. How accurate are those comfort ratings???

My wife and I are also going to buy boots, probably off ebay since slightly worn boots will be fine for us to wear a couple of times per year. Should we buy one size larger than our normal shoe size?

SAB

Sorrell recommends to buy up to the next size if you have a 1/2 size, to stay with your size if you are a full size. This has worked reasonably well for me. The one thing you don't want is a snug boot - need that dead air space.

Kamik seems to run about the same size as Sorrell. I don't know much about Columbia - although I know my wife likes the look of their boots.

SAB

RossiSkier

Just bought a new boot. My old boot was a 28.5/324 and it was too tight. I bought another boot that they fit me for as a 28/325. So I bought a size smaller cause my last pair was too tight. Boot purchasing defies logic. Thank God for those giant hair dryers.