• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your old board(s) - do you sell it or hold onto it?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I made a decision around age 20 to hold onto all of my old skis, even when I'm done using them. I want to build one of those Adirondack chairs out of my boards or more than likely a couple chairs when I get old. I think it will be kind of neat to sit on my own personal skiing history and reflect back at how old I was and where I was skiing on specific skis.

Currently my collection consists of six sets of skis. I kind of wish I had all the pairs I had from when I was a kid, but my folks would trade in my skis then when they got me new ones. Had they not, I'd probably have more like fifteen pairs to reflect back on. If I have children someday, I'll probably hold onto their old skis for them to do the same thing.

So do you sell your old skis or board or hold onto them?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I only have 1 pair of old skis and I sold them at the swap last Fall to help fund a pair of new skis. Great idea though! We have some really old skis we found curbside that we're saving for a bench, plus Brian has a pair or two of really old skis at his mom's house (in addition to at least 2 pairs of broken skis in my living room right now).

I guess it all depends on how much use you got out of them. The skis I sold only had less than 20 days on them and were purchased new - would have been a waste, IMHO, to not sell them. The pair I bought at the swap this year have 2 days on them and will probably also be going to the swap this fall. Brian's broken skis, however, have been worked hard. They can be sacrificed to the bench project without any qualms.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess the major reason why I made this decision is I pretty much punish my skis into submission before getting new ones. So, there dollar value is generally not much anyway. Might as well hold onto them and do something creative with them some day.

This said, I get rid of my old boots. I'm not going to turn them into flower pots or something :lol:. Plus, they're a bit stinkier to keep around :lol:

o3jeff

I had a couple old pairs at my parents house until last year when they had some remodeling done and the construction dumpster had some room left so my parents did a quick sweep through the basement and figured since I left them behind that I didn't want them so they got tossed. There were some classic too like my trusty Olins:sad:

Greg

Staff member
I usually just give them to somebody that might use them

danny p

I save all my old snowboards/skateboards (my gf absolutely loves all the room the take up):roll:. I want to make a bench out of the snowboards. I saw one in a snowboard shop once, 2 boards for the back rest, 2 boards for the seat, pretty schweet.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I usually just give them to somebody that might use them

I somewhat do that. On two occasions I've offered up a pair as a free season long rental. I'd rather they get used and help someone into the sport, just provided they are returned at the end of the season. In both situations the people who borrowed them purchased their own new skis for the following year and became full time skiers.

campgottagopee

Like you dead, I hold on to them and make them into chairs-benches. Currently have 1 bench and enough skis to make a chair---just need time to do it. They make great deck furniture (wind wont blow them around), plus makes for great conversation on a sunny bbq day.

cbcbd

I sell, but should've gotten in the habit of selling them earlier.

I sell all my skis at the end of the season, and replace them. Helps with the cost of new gear.
Yeah, cuz when you get bro deals you can nearly get back your money ;) Refresh every year... thought about doing that with my mtb but I like it too much and really beat up on it.

Warp Daddy

I Give em away to friends or family but the Adirondack Chair idea is super !!

Altho just for kicks my son ( lives just off Central Park in west 80's ) took 2 pairs of old Rossis and mounted a box frame over them then some decking and made a big SLED . I mean a Big sucker the Rossis were 195's

. WE Hot waxed it and Took it to Central Park for sledding with 4 of us he his wife and 2 grandkids . People were looking at us like we were nuts Well the damn thing shot down the hill across the meadow and just kept running. We're hootin and holerin and people went NUTs ------------------"What is that thing ?" - "where can we get one ""etc etc it was a friggin side show :D

deadheadskier

Staff member
I sell all my skis at the end of the season, and replace them. Helps with the cost of new gear.

I suppose I could do this, but in general, I don't feel the need to replace my skis every season. I like to get a solid 75 days out of em at which point they're worth nothing.

To off set the cost when I do buy new gear, I always buy the previous years gear though still new. As an example, this fall I got last years Rossi B2's and a set of Rossi bindings for $300 delivered, brand new.

To each there own though :)

I currently have 5 pairs of skis..that aren't completely trashed and set to my boots

Rossi Viper X's
Saloman X-Screams
Elan S12s
Atomic LT11s
Rossi Scratch Sprayer BCs..

I used to sell my old skis but now I hold onto them..