• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 2/26 - 2/27 Storm Discussion Thread

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
No Trax 4 U

this storm is running at a nice speed. There will be lots of time to dump lots of pow. I expect that my wednesday trax (and any groomer's track/cord) will be covered by thursday am.

:flame:
I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ANYONE WHINING THAT THERE'S "TOO MUCH SNOW!"
:flame:

danny p

has anyone on AZ every complained about TOO MUCH snow? that merits a lifetime ban.

danny p

that is definately not something that should be overheard in lift lines. :blink:

Mark_151

What does everyone feel about the possibility of wind hold on So. VT mountains on Wednesday? I have one day to take off, and don't want to blow it. It's either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. Will probably hit Okemo.

WJenness

That's funny because we just had a guest check in who uttered one of the most memorable lines ever a couple of years ago after a storm of about 18+ inches.

KingM: "How was the skiing yesterday?"

Guest (in grumpy voice): "It was alright, I guess, if you like powder."

Gulp... did you make them sleep in a snowbank?

-w

Haha..well alot of people..especially beginners and older folks..or people from PA..are only comfortable on icy groomed trails...At Jackson Hole there were lots of people bitching about no groomed runs or bad visibility on the storm days and were desperately hoping for an end to the storm..sunshine is over-rated I want snow..and it's raining outside my window...

MRGisevil

That's funny because we just had a guest check in who uttered one of the most memorable lines ever a couple of years ago after a storm of about 18+ inches.

There are actually people like that in the world? Wow... I feel a little bit sadder now.

hammer

I'm actually surprised you don't hear that more often...I'd guess that the average "few days a year" resort skier would be more used to (and happier with) groomed hardpack.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm actually surprised you don't hear that more often...I'd guess that the average "few days a year" resort skier would be more used to (and happier with) groomed hardpack.

The consistency makes it entirely predictable which is exactly how they want it. And it's the least amount of effort expended to ski. "Low stress skiing".

Myself? I'd rather crash and explode in a crevasse three-feet-deep in powder and have to swim out.

Skiing, I tell my adult peer group, is nothing more than grown-ups playing in the snow.
For those who require a more lofty goal - it's good exercise, conditioning, strength training, tree-hugging, outdoors at all cost, back to nature experience. But for me, it's just playing....

hammer

The consistency makes it entirely predictable which is exactly how they want it. And it's the least amount of effort expended to ski. "Low stress skiing".

Myself? I'd rather crash and explode in a crevasse three-feet-deep in powder and have to swim out.

Skiing, I tell my adult peer group, is nothing more than grown-ups playing in the snow.
For those who require a more lofty goal - it's good exercise, conditioning, strength training, tree-hugging, outdoors at all cost, back to nature experience. But for me, it's just playing....
Based on my very limited experience, powder is harder to ski in but easier to fall on...

BTW, any reports? I'm seeing all kinds of stuff on the radars but no precip out of my office window.

tcharron

Man, Accuweather is funny. I usually check for Bennington for the Crotched forecast, since I was on Stephies lappy and wanted to check, I went to Accuweather where she has Lyndeborough, NH in her bookmarks, about 15 minutes away. They claim 5" for us, WITH THE 'R" work in there. Wonder how that works. Go up the road, get 11", over here, 5...

I feel like I'm being repressed.

nelsapbm

It's been snowing in Burlington since 8 this morning, but doesnt seem to be amounting to much. The bulk of this storm is going to hit over night. Bring it!

mlctvt

Mount Snow's reporting 3" so far. Their webcams also show it's snowing heavy now.