• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill, Sunday 2/24/08

kcyanks1

Conditions:
Ungroomed - soft, loose snow; thin cover
Groomed - firm; ice, especially toward end of day on the trail under the triple

Based on the snow Friday and the $25 liftopia ticket, I decided to give Plattekill a try for the first time rather than go to Hunter (where I've only been 4 times). Interesting area. The trail under the double and the one to the skier's left of the one under the double were pretty fun. They had some soft, loose snow (chopped powder, I guess, but not something you'd run into every turn) over what was an extremely thin base. Fun runs. Toward the end of the day they were getting more skied off though. The run under the triple was groomed (not completely across the width, but the ungroomed part didn't have enough cover), and went from firm to ice as the afternoon progressed. It was fun enough around lunch time, but later was too icy to enjoy.

While I'd consider going back right after a storm and when there might be a better base, overall I prefer Hunter's terrain. Somewhat steeper and more moguls. Plattekill's natural stuff was fun. Not enough snow to form moguls or ski in the woods though on this occasion. Didn't get much of a workout without having moguls or woods (skied only about 3 hours 45 minutes ... some issues leaving the city).

One thing to mention, though, is that one of the employees (or maybe the owner? I have the feeling he may have been, but it's just a feeling) was very friendly. On the way out I asked if they had a map, and after giving it to me and showing me the way, he asked how I found out about the mountain and how my day was. Very nice to have an employee/owner(?) care like that.

It was nice to get out though and give a new area a chance.