• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

hike/ski in the catskills

S

Snowman

Hello everybody. As strange as it sounds, I like to hike up and ski down in the wilderness. (Sort of eating the meal you cook, so to speak ) I am a bit new to the activity, having only really done so in the White Mountains. The Catskills are a bit closer and thus is the appeal of finding opportunities. Has anybody does this activity in the Catskills? I was looking at perhaps hiking up Hunter Mountain, hiking over, and skiing down the resort. Does anyone know if this is feasable?

dmc

Snowman said:
The Catskills are a bit closer and thus is the appeal of finding opportunities. Has anybody does this activity in the Catskills? I was looking at perhaps hiking up Hunter Mountain, hiking over, and skiing down the resort. Does anyone know if this is feasable?

Yes I have... Many great back country runs in the "skills"....
Snowbase depths are not ther yet - but we are optimistic...

You can hike from Devils Tombstone(rt 214) - past the firetower then ski down Hunter if your so inclined...
Or skin up the Otis Raliroad bed in Hains Falls then ski down...

Tons of stuff....