• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Race Ski Sizing and turn Radius Questions

wa-loaf

Thinking about pulling the trigger on these here. Seems like a real good deal, even though they will be three years old, but new, by the time I get on em' next season

What do people think?

http://www.skis.com/product.php?productid=117302&xid=7f16f14da6e026a856bbe106acd1e81d

I saw those as well as all the Salomon GS skis for $199. I almost picked up a pair of the 185 Lab (race stock) until I saw the Racetigers I wanted on ebay. The 175s will make them a little easier to make short turns if you want but these are going to want to make the big GS turns. I went with 185s on the Volkls, but I plan to use them mainly for racing.

If you can find them, I would recommend the current skis I own to anyone that wants a frontside GS type ski that is snappy and can make quick turns, is good in the moguls and cuts right through crud. Elan Ripstick, they only made them for 2 years and I think the GSX Race is the replacement. I think they are a good fit for what you've been talking about getting.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ripsticks might be a good option.

Today I was skiing on skied off loose granular at Shawnee and what I really wanted underfoot was a pair of skis that I could bomb GS turns with maximum edge grip and stability. The more I think about it, the more I think a GS race ski is what I'm looking for for days like today.