• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I'm on a diet!!!

Hey all,

I've tried dieting three times so far with mixed results. I started my new diet today February 25th. I miss being younger and being able to eat a ton of food and drink lots of beer and staying skinny. Here is my diet plan so far.

*No Fast food except healthy fast food like Subway..hold the chips and soda.
*No bar food
*less beer
*healthy breakfast everyday
*daily indoor exercises..pushups..situps..leg lifts..hand weights
*morning and night walk..2-3 miles
*no giant bags of pretzals at work...but smaller bags O.K. for portion control

Part of this is cosmetic but most of it is for my health. I'm very healthy now and luckily I've only carried the extra weight for a few years but I want to get back down to fighting weight again.

I want to make this diet fun for myself as well and you all know I like stats so I'm keeping a log. My short-term goal for my first serious weigh-in is March 15th..the Ides of March..

Between now and then I want
-40 walks
-40 indoor exercise sessions
-40 less beers
-40 healty snacks substituted for empty calories

I should get lots of gold stars..The past is dust in the wind..I'm looking forward..part of a self improvement plan for myself..A new steezier Grilled Steeze Sandwich

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Since you like stats, you might like this website for helping you get there and tracking:
www.sparkpeople.com

Brian and I used that to lose weight in the past (me: 40 lbs, he was up to 70 lbs, I believe, maybe more). It's all about revamping your lifestyle because diets don't work. You need to be in it for the long haul and find something you can live with. Realistic goals, KWIM?

That said, now that our baby is 9 months old, I can start getting back on the horse (so to speak) and work on getting my weight down again. I'll be using Spark again to help me achieve my goals.

Good luck!!!!

Paul

I used Spark for awhile, I've since switched to Gyminee.com as it will also track your exercise and factor that in as well. Like Spark, its free (there is a pay option that gets you more, I'm considering it)

Good idea, Doug. My plan is a little more rigid. I try to do a 50% carb, 25% protein, 25% fat diet. This is based on a 2000 cal/day intake. It was 1800cal/day but now I'm only off my target weight by about 5-10lbs. I'm building muscle mass at the same time, so I'm less concerned about the weight. More muscle = more calories burned. It's a real PITA but using those websites to track everything helps.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I used Spark for awhile, I've since switched to Gyminee.com as it will also track your exercise and factor that in as well. Like Spark, its free (there is a pay option that gets you more, I'm considering it)
Spark also factors in exercise. Are you maybe thinking of fitday? I used fitday the first time I lost weight (read: before baby #1-Spark was post-baby #1) but that only tracked calories.

Spark has changed a lot since before my last pregnancy. Nice program and entirely free.

Congrats, Paul, on being so close to your goal weight! :D

SKIQUATTRO

the formula is simple: Burn more than you consume. Its the truth but no one wants to work at it, thats why the fad diets are a multi-billion dollar industry. Eat 5-6 smaller meals during the day, drink water (try not to drink your calories) Just dropping your caloire count wont do it, the more you work out, the more you need to eat (properly) to fuel the machine, if you cut calories alone you can have the reverse effect. Best way to drop the lbs is running and swimming...if I only have an hour at night or in the morning i'll do a quick paced 30min swim then jump right on the treadmill for a 20-30 min at 70-80% of max Heart Rate..also, having a treadmill at level 0 is like walking down hill, put it to at least Level 1 incline...a HR Monitor (POLAR or similar) is a great tool....

Paul

Spark also factors in exercise. Are you maybe thinking of fitday? I used fitday the first time I lost weight (read: before baby #1-Spark was post-baby #1) but that only tracked calories.

Spark has changed a lot since before my last pregnancy. Nice program and entirely free.

Congrats, Paul, on being so close to your goal weight! :D

Maybe its changed since I used it, or I didn't like how it did the exercise part. I don't recall. There's another good one called Shapefit. Haven't used it, but it looks pretty good.

Thanks! Its been tough. Started Nov. '06 Stayed on target until my injury in Feb '07. Was able to start again in July '07, then got off-track in the fall due to the death of my Mother-in-Law and the chaos that ensued. Started again last month.
Was 175# in '06, got down to 150# after injury (lost a lot of muscle mass, though, so not a good loss) Now am at 160#

Paul

Isn't that you in your Avatar? Doesn't seem like you have much to loose.

You can't see his ass in that photo.

pear.jpg

Isn't that you in your Avatar? Doesn't seem like you have much to loose.

That's not me..that's some dude from Starbucks...:lol: I'm 5'11 and over 200 pounds..fighting weight is around 175-180 pounds..lol

I really appreciate everybodies suggestions. I went through a mental inventory and in the past week I drank 40-50 beers..and I don't drink light beer. Yesterday after skiing I drank 2.5 beers and the last one was a wounded soldier. Yesterday I didn't have breakfast, had healthy food from Quiznos for lunch some pretzals for a snack, and a steak and salad for dinner...no fried foods at all except for the croutons in my salad. I totally cut off my eating for the day at 8:00PM and went on an hourlong walk. This morning I was down 1.5 pounds. Even though it's only one day..it gives me motivation to keep going and not go to the bar for wings and mozzerela sticks tonight.

I haven't eaten anything yet today as I rolled out of bed a few minutes before I had to get ready for work. I'm going to the store across the street and buying 500 calories of healthy food to eat throughout the workday. I'll see how that goes? Is caffeine a bad thing when dieting? A Diet Rockstar energy drink or Sugar Free Red Bull would be darn good right about now and I know caffeine is an appetite suppresent.

Day 2 will hopefully be a good one..

BeanoNYC

Is caffeine a bad thing when dieting? A Diet Rockstar energy drink or Sugar Free Red Bull would be darn good right about now and I know caffeine is an appetite suppresent.

Day 2 will hopefully be a good one..

Caffeine will dehydrate you. Get some frozen blueberries and make a shake with some whey protein for energy. Drink plenty of water.

drjeff

Caffeine will dehydrate you. Get some frozen blueberries and make a shake with some whey protein for energy. Drink plenty of water.

There's also a fair amount of growing research out there that suggests that while the diet energy drinks/diet soda's don't have any calories in them, the flavor can often ilicit a response in our brains that will increase your desire to eat, which can cause problems.

As for hydration, the loose rule of thumb is you should be drinking 1 oz of water per day for every 1 pound of body weight you have

ctenidae

Remember, also, that high protein foods will make you feel satisfied faster and keep you that way longer than high carb or high fat foods.

When you eat, just eat. Don't do anythign else- no TV, no work, no computer. Eating time is for eating. You'll eat about 30% less because you won't be distracted and will pay attention to when you feel full.

The small bag of pretzels is a good idea- apparently, the more you have in front of you, the more you will eat.

As for hydration, the loose rule of thumb is you should be drinking 1 oz of water per day for every 1 pound of body weight you have

Seriously...wow...what happened to 8 glasses..64 ounces of water per day??? I usually don't even drink that much. So I should be drinking 200 ounces of water per day or 25 cups???? Wow

When you eat, just eat. Don't do anythign else- no TV, no work, no computer. Eating time is for eating. You'll eat about 30% less because you won't be distracted and will pay attention to when you feel full.

The small bag of pretzels is a good idea- apparently, the more you have in front of you, the more you will eat.

Good suggestion...it's tough for me to eat lunch without being on the internet..

I follow a simpler rule- If I don't have to pee, I'm not drinking enough.

I have to train myself to drink more water. On a recent date, I had water and beer. I drank all the beer and had maybe 3 sips of the water...My date gulped all the water and had another glass. It's tough for me to gulp water unless I'm sweaty from exercise or it's hot outside..But I'm going to try and I have water next to me right now. We have a water cooler at work so I'm going to try to drink a cup of water every hour of work..then I'll be pissing like a racehorse..

bvibert

Staff member
I've been pretty good about drinking water for awhile now. I don't like the tastes of most tap water, unless it's run through a filter. For that reason I usually drink soda at restaurants (which isn't too often).

I try to drink 2-3 32oz nalgene bottles of water a day, more if I'm doing a lot of physical activity.