• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Mountain - 2/23/08

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
Ski Areas Skied: Crotched Mountain

Dates Skied: 2/23

Conditions: 6" Powder on Styrofoam

Trip Report:

Teaser Pic
normal_100_5840.JPG

Another killer day at Crotched Mountain. We hit every glade on the mountain, hiked to the summit all day long, and I had my best day on snow condition wise since Late-December.

Left Plymouth @ 5:00 AM
Crotched @ 8:00 AM
On the Lifts, First Chair, @ 8:50 AM

This is what we saw first chair up, after 6" fresh. (obviously this pic is not first chair, but it was the same view of the groomed slopes)
normal_2841223500080458795jXofni_fs.jpg

Midnight Madness (skiing til 3am) meant that all the on-snow and marked glade powder was skied out. Crazy people skiing trees after midnight. Our first run was across to the old T-Bar liftline, which was nice, but not killer. I met up with joshua segal and remski from snowjournal.

normal_2181150460080458795JDdjbA_fs.jpg

JS and remski on the chair in front of us.

The snow on the t-bar liftline was powder over styrofoam. It was edgeable, but not the greatest. While on the t-bar liftline, I went to ski between two trees and sacked myself on a hanging vine. :eek: :eek: I almost threw up when I got to the bottom and was in some pain for about 1/2 hour. Next, we hiked the summit and followed remski (on tele) into an unmarked glade. remski was the first person down it, steve and I were #s two and three. The teaser pic was from that glade. After the glade we hiked the summit again and hit their future-expansion trail for a couple hours. There was a nice rock drop on that trail, which I hit many many times. Hucker's neck the next morning. It was a small drop, but i'm not used to doing that kind of thing.

normal_2495680100080458795gSthrO_fs.jpg

After the summit trails we ducked into every set of woods at the mountain and scored first tracks a couple times. Some of the patches we hit were really tight, and I got whacked in the face with trees more than once. One patch had a fairly sketchy entrance which called for a jump into a patch of trees. You had to aim right, or you'd jump into the tree.

normal_2438764640080458795XnKDOL_fs.jpg

steve bailing on the entrance.

normal_2743479090080458795mTUXDw_fs.jpg

my tracks in the woods.

normal_2742028730080458795niwrVn_fs.jpg

exit of one patch of woods

normal_2106851160080458795RXlZcO_fs.jpg

random pic of a guy hucking a cliff band on the side of a trail.

I had an awesome day. I felt like I was on top of my game, skiing wise. Crotched is a great mountain, with alot of places to explore and alot of fun stashes, if you know where to look. They don't homogenize everything, so there are alot of fun natural terrain elements. Excellent day. And only $39! I'll link the video once I upload to youtube. I also have one or two panos to post, once i stitch.