• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boot Advice

bvibert

Staff member
Don't let the girlish demeanor fool you, Marge has mad ninja skills of her own... I've seen them in action... :eek:

MRGisevil

Oh don't tell stories! Marc's just trying to spread propaganda because he's jealous of how cool I am. I'm really super nice :)

Paul

She never beat me up. ;)

See! Thanks Carrie :(

O YA like I'm gonna believe the ya-ya sisterhood over a do0d on this one.

lolst_orly.jpg

MRGisevil

O YA like I'm gonna believe the ya-ya sisterhood over a do0d on this one.

lolst_orly.jpg

pfftfftttt.... ya ya sisterhood > u

On a more serious, less hi-jacky note... Tim's going to call Dave at Ski Market. With any luck we might head there tonight to check out the boots that are on order and see how they feel.

My real question: I know nothing of these "flex ratings" of which you all speak. Is there really going to be a significant difference if I move up by ten points?

hammer

My real question: I know nothing of these "flex ratings" of which you all speak. Is there really going to be a significant difference if I move up by ten points?
I think it depends on brand, but FWIW I don't remember a significant difference between the Tecnica Diablo Spark and Diablo Flame when I tried each on and they had a 10 point difference in the flex rating.

jack97

There you go again.....antagonizing the hooligans. flex rating differs from vendor to vendor. Something you have to feel, best in the snow. FWIW, I adjusted my boots for more flex, previous to that with less flex, my ankles would hurt after spending all day in the bumps. There are some who believe that the boot needs some "give" when skiing on a bump trail.

Paul

pfftfftttt.... ya ya sisterhood > u

On a more serious, less hi-jacky note... Tim's going to call Dave at Ski Market. With any luck we might head there tonight to check out the boots that are on order and see how they feel.

I would doubt it. Like has been said earlier (if you wade through the muck and Wa-Loaf and Jack's pissing contest:wink:) It really is all going to come-down to how they feel. I seriously doubt you'll tell much of a difference in the store especially. You may feel a difference on the hill though.

I would just go with the one that feels most comfortable. If, a year or two or three from now, you decide you need something more aggressive, then move-up.

Another thing, no offence here, you look a hell of a lot better in the bumps than I do, but after watching the vids, I would say you're still "getting your feet wet" this goes for the trees as well. Don't complicate things. Use the boot that feels most comfortable so you can concentrate more on improving your technique, and worry about your gear less.

MRGisevil

I would doubt it. Like has been said earlier (if you wade through the muck and Wa-Loaf and Jack's pissing contest:wink:) It really is all going to come-down to how they feel. I seriously doubt you'll tell much of a difference in the store especially. You may feel a difference on the hill though.

I would just go with the one that feels most comfortable. If, a year or two or three from now, you decide you need something more aggressive, then move-up.

Another thing, no offence here, you look a hell of a lot better in the bumps than I do, but after watching the vids, I would say you're still "getting your feet wet" this goes for the trees as well. Don't complicate things. Use the boot that feels most comfortable so you can concentrate more on improving your technique, and worry about your gear less.

None taken- this is the first season I have tried bumps or trees that weren't spaced thirty feet apart from each other. I don't tend to spend too much time worrying about gear- I know I'm not at a level where it matters terribly just yet. I'm just a bit concerned about the boots because the last ones really didn't work out at all and I don't want to shell out a couple hundred bucks for the same thing to happen again.

jack97

I'm just a bit concerned about the boots because the last ones really didn't work out at all and I don't want to shell out a couple hundred bucks for the same thing to happen again.

Comfort first, but if you have the choice, look for ones that have adjustments. Just make sure Mrevil gets the operation.... if you know what I mean.

MRGisevil

Met with Dave Newman and picked up the Attiva v2.8s. He spent a good amount of time making sure I was in the right boot and, despite my lack of experience, I would send someone to him in a heart beat. Great guy. Much better experience than my last boot purchase.

Guess tomorrow will be the real test.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Good luck! Glad to hear you've had 2 good experiences with a local bootfitter. When I finally replace mine, that's going to be the tough part. Hard to make a trip 4-5 hrs north just for boots, KWIM?

Have fun testing them out!