• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Mountain: Feb. 23, 2008 (Some Freshies)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: February 23, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Burke Mountain

Conditions: 4-6 inches of new pow on top of firmed MG

Weather: Snow showers giving way to PC skies.

2007-2008 Report # : 37

Trip Report: Back again. It was nice to see the Dawn Patrol and to enjoy some great fresh tracks.

IMG_07911.JPG

Literally first tracks on Lower Fox's, which we got to via Meadows/Willoughby:

Dave got first tracks...you snooze, you lose....

first_tracks.JPG

That was nice...so we hit Powderhorn and then Carriage Road afterwards. Very nice. We also took a spin down East Bowl, where the "Warren Miller" film crew was in action:

The skiers featured are Mrs. Original Trailboss, Carl, and then the original trailboss. Nice moves.

We skied over to Mountain Marsh and found that it was skied out...which was odd....largely because the woods were not in good shape from the icing so folks are skiing the trails. We also hit Upper Fox's, Dippers, and Dipper Doodle. All groomed up nicely, but getting icy fast.

The crew went in for lunch and I joined them before heading out for the afternoon. The conditions got rough very quickly...as from the NEK said, largely dust (or pow) on crust/ice and it got rough fast. The snowmaking runs seemed to be rough, with Willoughby getting really rough. East Bowl was churned up in the middle...

I did a spin down Shoot to Warren's Way and found that the race training had done its toll.

I did a spin on the lower mountain to check E-mail and then headed up to do a run down Carriage Road/Little Dipper and then East Bowl. Nice weather, but an OK day...actually "average" ski conditions when considering that we've had such stellar conditions.

Some pics:

Afternoon sun:

powda.JPG

Frosty Trees:

lift_ride_3.JPG

Shoot:

shoot.JPG

The view from below:

IMG_0805.JPG

Carriage Road:

carriage_road.JPG

The gallery.

thetrailboss

Staff member
....and word had it that the management had predicted today to be a record-breaking day for daily attendance. It was nowhere near that....no lines at all...but Lower Mountain was packed.

KevinF

Nice writeup! I was there on the 23rd as well. I skied the various bump runs -- Lew's Leap, Doug's Drop, Foxes Folly, Wilderness... Each time the bumps looked really inviting with the fresh snow on them, and each time I found that they were unbelievably icy underneath. I didn't dare try any of the glades.

Only downer to my day was that I snapped a pole. It broke when I was pushing from the "wait here" line to the "load here" line at the summit quad. So I made my last run down with 1.5 poles. That got me a couple interesting looks! :blink: