• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Official 2/29-3/1 Clipper Discussion Thread

gmcunni

I just happy to see a change over on saturday. earlier today NOAA was calling for possibility of showers in south/central VT. Now calling for snow :grin:

loafer89

The NWS just issued a Winter Storm Watch:

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME329 PM EST THU FEB 28 2008...A STRONG STORM SYSTEM WILL BRING ANOTHER ROUND OF SNOW TONORTHERN NEW ENGLAND....LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE OUT OF THE GREAT LAKES ON FRIDAYAFTERNOON...MOVING TOWARD NEW ENGLAND. SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOPAHEAD OF THE STORM FRIDAY EVENING OVER SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE ANDEXTREME SOUTHERN MAINE. SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO SPREAD NORTH ANDEAST...COVERING ALL OF NEW HAMPSHIRE AND WESTERN MAINE BY SATURDAYMORNING.BY SATURDAY MORNING THE PRIMARY LOW PRESSURE CENTER SHOULD BE OVERLAKE ONTARIO...WITH A SECONDARY CIRCULATION TRYING TO SPIN UP OVERSOUTHERN NEW YORK STATE. SNOW WILL BECOME HEAVIEST OVER SOUTHERNNEW HAMPSHIRE AND SOUTHERN MAINE TOWARD DAWN SATURDAYMORNING...WHILE CENTRAL MAINE WILL SEE THE HEAVIEST OF THE SNOWSATURDAY MORNING AND EARLY SATURDAY AFTERNOON.LOCATIONS ON THE IMMEDIATE COAST MAY SEE A CHANGE OVER TO RAINDURING THE LATE MORNING AND EARLY AFTERNOON HOURS ON SATURDAY.THIS COULD CUT DOWN THE SNOW AMOUNTS DRAMATICALLY.FURTHER INLAND...THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN ALL SNOW.MEZ007>009-012>014-019>022-024>028-NHZ001>004-291100-/O.NEW.KGYX.WS.A.0007.080301T0600Z-080302T0000Z/NORTHERN OXFORD-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-CENTRAL SOMERSET-SOUTHERN OXFORD-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-SOUTHERN SOMERSET-INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-KENNEBEC-INTERIOR WALDO-COASTAL CUMBERLAND-SAGADAHOC-LINCOLN-KNOX-COASTAL WALDO-NORTHERN COOS-SOUTHERN COOS-NORTHERN GRAFTON-NORTHERN CARROLL-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANDOVER...BYRON...MIDDLE DAM...ROXBURY...SOUTH ARM...UPTON...WILSONS MILLS...AVON...CARRABASSETT VALLEY...COBURN GORE...DALLAS...DAVIS...EUSTIS...KINGFIELD...BINGHAM...RUMFORD...NORWAY...SOUTH PARIS...MEXICO...FRYEBURG...OXFORD...FARMINGTON...WILTON...SKOWHEGAN...PITTSFIELD...MADISON...FAIRFIELD...NORTH WINDHAM...GORHAM...BRIDGTON...LEWISTON...AUBURN...AUGUSTA...WATERVILLE...WINSLOW...GARDINER...UNITY...PORTLAND...SOUTH PORTLAND...WESTBROOK...BATH...TOPSHAM...WALDOBORO...BOOTHBAY HARBOR...WISCASSET...ROCKLAND...CAMDEN...THOMASTON...BELFAST...LITTLETON...NORTH CONWAY...CONWAY329 PM EST THU FEB 28 2008...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGHSATURDAY EVENING...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORMWATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGHSATURDAY EVENING.THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR MORE THAN 6 INCHES OF SNOW.PLEASE REPORT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICEBY CALLING TOLL FREE...1-877-633-6772. STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHERRADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA... OR GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/GRAY FORFURTHER UPDATES ON THIS WEATHER SITUATION.

It looks like the Poconos could see 1-3 inches of fresh Poe for Saturday morning..woo hoo..too bad I don't have a pair of the Pontoons..lol

Euler

Oh geezum...what looked like a quick clipper leaving a couple inches at best all of a sudden could be another half a foot of Edgar Allen Poeder. Looks like I'll get another chance to improve my powder skiing Saturday morning!!!

:snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:

From the NWS Albany station for Southern VT:

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH
SATURDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WATCH FOR THE TACONICS...BERKSHIRES AND SOUTHERN VERMONT...WHICH
IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY EVENING THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 7 INCHES OR MORE ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS THE
WATCH AREA FROM FRIDAY EVENING INTO SATURDAY AFTERNOON. SNOW WILL
OVERSPREAD THE REGION FRIDAY EVENING...AND COULD BECOME HEAVY AT
TIMES OVERNIGHT AND INTO THE DAY ON SATURDAY.

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
from accuweather:
looks like 6-12 for most of new hampshire and so. vermont
snow_map.jpg

clipper.jpg

I wish they'd make these maps larger. XC Skiing in Lincoln is gonna be sweet next weekend.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
from accuweather:
looks like 6-12 for most of new hampshire and so. vermont
snow_map.jpg

clipper.jpg

I wish they'd make these maps larger. XC Skiing in Lincoln is gonna be sweet next weekend.
Tim Kelly on NECN had a much different map showing 6" for most of NH including the Whites with NoVT extending into Northern ME up to a foot. Tough call on this one, difference of a couple dozen miles north or south could mean a big difference.

thetrailboss

Staff member
WCAX says 4-8 inches....

And then a warm up with r%^n and crap on Monday-Tuesday :roll:

The good news is that forecasts appear to be trending colder....

SnowRider

Not much, but perhaps a few inches.

I love it when that staement is wrong :lol:

But really there saying 7-12 for killington so this is officially a storm in my book.

Pow, all my friends, presents, cake. Its like putting everything awsome into one weekend. (B-day sunday)

Euler

Heavy Snow Warning for So VT

Wow!!! It keeps looking better and better for So VT. In the past few days this has gone from a good chance of a few inches to a good chance for a half a foot, to a good chance for a foot and a half!

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A HEAVY SNOW
WARNING FOR THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL TACONICS...BERKSHIRES AND
SOUTHERN VERMONT WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 4
PM EST SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS MOST OF
THE WARNING AREA FROM THIS EVENING INTO SATURDAY
AFTERNOON...WITH 8 TO 16 INCHES EXPECTED ACROSS THE SOUTHERN
GREEN MOUNTAINS. SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION THIS EVENING...AND
BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES OVERNIGHT INTO EARLY SATURDAY. THE SNOW IS
EXPECTED TO TAPER OFF LATE SATURDAY.

drjeff

This is the one time, for one localized area, that I hope this storm and the Southeast winds brings a change over to "immature snow" quickly, but just for a really small area (the runways at T.F. Green Airport in Providence) so my 7:25AM flight can both get in tonight and then depart on time tommorrow AM to carry me off to Utah!

Anywhere outside the I-295 corridor around Providence let this sucker really bomb out and absolutely blast just about every ski area in New England, but for personal reason, I gotta hope that the skiers/riders at Yawgoo Valley tommorrow will be needing Gore Tex to deal with wet, not white ;)

tequiladoug

Website
www.douglas1.com
Wow!!! It keeps looking better and better for So VT. In the past few days this has gone from a good chance of a few inches to a good chance for a half a foot, to a good chance for a foot and a half!

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A HEAVY SNOW
WARNING FOR THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL TACONICS...BERKSHIRES AND
SOUTHERN VERMONT WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 4
PM EST SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS MOST OF
THE WARNING AREA FROM THIS EVENING INTO SATURDAY
AFTERNOON...WITH 8 TO 16 INCHES EXPECTED ACROSS THE SOUTHERN
GREEN MOUNTAINS. SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION THIS EVENING...AND
BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES OVERNIGHT INTO EARLY SATURDAY. THE SNOW IS
EXPECTED TO TAPER OFF LATE SATURDAY.

very nice, but now its going to take forever to get from Albany to Jay leaving way early Sat AM! Well, I'm think might as well tear up some pow at Stratton or mount snow and then continue on to Jay for Sunday??

madskier6

Well, I'm think might as well tear up some pow at Stratton or mount snow and then continue on to Jay for Sunday??

Dude, go to Magic to tear up some powder on your way to Jay. Don't go to Stratton or Mt. Snow for powder when Magic is in that area & the pow will be much better. You also won't run into the crowds of people that Mt. Snow or Stratton will have. We were at Magic yesterday & it was the best day of the season for me! Hit it!

loafer89

We are going to have to hightail it out of here tonight for skiing at Sunday River this weekend. Originally I wanted to leave early on saturday but with a Heavy Snow Warning up from the NWS for my county travel on saturday will be harsh.