• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fatties....worth it????

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Okay, I am definitely a believer in 90+ for 1'+ days. Got the Atua's out today in 1-2'+ of powder. Made knee deep powder feel essentially bottomless, superior float, and more snow billowing over my shoulder and into my face than I could shake a stick at. This was my fifth day using these skis and powder had yet to be that deep so less than one foot, I probably will not bother taking them out. But I wasn't really looking for a ski for less than one foot so it works well.

Though as severine mentions... whether you need fatties or not really depends upon how many powder days you have. I do not think fatties are necessary for people who do not hit at least a decent amount of one foot plus powder days per season.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Sorry, I need to post this:

fatty.jpg

kbroderick

After skiing a pair of 06/07 Anti-Pistes several times this year, I'd have to say that going narrower than 90mm makes no sense for anything except zipperline bumping or racing. I've had a blast on powder days with a pair of 5 stars (about 70mm underfoot), a pair of Fischer slalom skis (66ish underfoot), and the K2s...but the K2s are easier to use, lighter, and more fun on those days.

coreybyrnes

Website
www.coreybyrnes.com
i picked up my first pair of fatter skis at the end of last year expecting to only ride them when there was more than a few inches of fresh but now they are my everyday ski on the ice, groomers, trees, moguls, powder, etc... i haven't touched my volkl g3 since picking up the head mojo 90... granted 90 underfoot isn't considered "fat" anymore but man they bust through everything with much more ease than the 78 underfoot of the g3... now i'm looking to go fatter... checking out a black diamond zealot AT setup... go fatter than you are right now... you won't regret it!