• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow Feb 27, 2008

Euler

Date(s) Skied: Feb 27, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow

Conditions:
Foot Deep Powder at 9 AM, tracked out powder throughout the rest of the day

Trip Report:
WOW!! I rarely get a chance to be a mid-week skier, and rarely get a chance to ski in deepish powder and today I got both.

Got on the lift at 9:15 - first run down Overbrook , powder over my boots, skis not visible below the snow and I felt truly humbled by the conditions. Deep(ish) powder is a new thing for me. It was slow going with lots of laughs by the whole family.

Next we took Canyon-Standard -a groomed trail - to remember that we really did know how to ski. A riot! Even when skiing a groomed trail, the new snow makes everything soft and nice.

Went with the kids through the terrain park next - Un Blanco Gulch. They hit all the jumps and I skiied the side and made sure none of the big bad snowboarders/skiers jumped onto them.

Next, up the Summit Express for another powder run down Hop. This was a bit better than the first run, maybe from a bit more practice, maybe from the steeper pitch, probably a bit of both.

After a hot cocoa/coffee break at the Summit Lodge we ventured over to Fallen TImbers on the North Face. This was the trail of the day for us. It had been groomed a some point over night, but the snow was so soft that it had been cut and tracked up into soft moguls that made it a real joy to ski. Soft and forgiving. The snow combined with the incomparable view of Somerset Reservoir made it a real treat. I was a proud father watching my 7 and 10 year old rip down the trail.

After 2 laps on TImbers we zoomed down Thanks Walt on the Sunbrook side of the mountain - groomed soft corduroy and no other skiers in sight. Then it was up the Beartrap lift and back down Beartrap. What a treat this trail is when it's coated in soft powder. In one of my first trip reports this year I predicted my kids would be skiing Beartrap this year and sure enough, they are. They are on the verge of out skiing their parents!

After a long break for lunch we skied Uncles, Ridge, and Snowdance, all nice cut up crud/soft mogul conditions and then called it a day at 2:45.

We're going back tomorrow at 9 AM.

drjeff

Date(s) Skied: Feb 27, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Snow

Conditions:
Foot Deep Powder at 9 AM, tracked out powder throughout the rest of the day

Trip Report:
WOW!! I rarely get a chance to be a mid-week skier, and rarely get a chance to ski in deepish powder and today I got both.

Got on the lift at 9:15 - first run down Overbrook , powder over my boots, skis not visible below the snow and I felt truly humbled by the conditions. Deep(ish) powder is a new thing for me. It was slow going with lots of laughs by the whole family.

Next we took Canyon-Standard -a groomed trail - to remember that we really did know how to ski. A riot! Even when skiing a groomed trail, the new snow makes everything soft and nice.

Went with the kids through the terrain park next - Un Blanco Gulch. They hit all the jumps and I skiied the side and made sure none of the big bad snowboarders/skiers jumped onto them.

Next, up the Summit Express for another powder run down Hop. This was a bit better than the first run, maybe from a bit more practice, maybe from the steeper pitch, probably a bit of both.

After a hot cocoa/coffee break at the Summit Lodge we ventured over to Fallen TImbers on the North Face. This was the trail of the day for us. It had been groomed a some point over night, but the snow was so soft that it had been cut and tracked up into soft moguls that made it a real joy to ski. Soft and forgiving. The snow combined with the incomparable view of Somerset Reservoir made it a real treat. I was a proud father watching my 7 and 10 year old rip down the trail.

After 2 laps on TImbers we zoomed down Thanks Walt on the Sunbrook side of the mountain - groomed soft corduroy and no other skiers in sight. Then it was up the Beartrap lift and back down Beartrap. What a treat this trail is when it's coated in soft powder. In one of my first trip reports this year I predicted my kids would be skiing Beartrap this year and sure enough, they are. They are on the verge of out skiing their parents!

After a long break for lunch we skied Uncles, Ridge, and Snowdance, all nice cut up crud/soft mogul conditions and then called it a day at 2:45.

We're going back tomorrow at 9 AM.

Sounds like an awesome time! Very, very jealous of you! I kept having to tell myself yesterday while I was in the office drooling over the live Mount Snow webcam that I'll be on snow in Utah this Sunday. That's the only way I could make it through yesterday ;)