• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

tomorrow, magic, startton or mt. snow?

tequiladoug

Website
www.douglas1.com
which place?

I want powder & glades!

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ALBANY HAS ISSUED A HEAVY SNOW
WARNING FOR THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL TACONICS...BERKSHIRES AND
SOUTHERN VERMONT WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 4
PM EST SATURDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS MOST OF
THE WARNING AREA FROM THIS EVENING INTO SATURDAY
AFTERNOON...WITH 8 TO 16 INCHES EXPECTED ACROSS THE SOUTHERN
GREEN MOUNTAINS
. SNOW WILL OVERSPREAD THE REGION THIS EVENING...AND
BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES OVERNIGHT INTO EARLY SATURDAY. THE SNOW IS
EXPECTED TO TAPER OFF LATE SATURDAY.

laxski

The glades at Mt. Snow last weekend before this 2 storm total of up to 2 feet plus were GREAT!!!!!!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
The glades at Mt. Snow last weekend before this 2 storm total of up to 2 feet plus were GREAT!!!!!!!!

maybe true, but on a weekend the answer is Magic for the most available powder and trees

It is a duh x infinity answer truly

bvibert

Staff member
Magic is truly sick right now, if they get that much snow for Saturday it'll be out of this world. You're just going to have to share it with a bunch of racers...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
while everyone is gonna get the same pow, and while the other mountains brutally groom it, the real reason is crowds. I don't mean waiting in lift lines. I mean when you have several thousand of your closest weekend friends all hammering away at it, there it's pretty much wasted in no time.
answer: Magic

Greg

Staff member
while everyone is gonna get the same pow, and while the other mountains brutally groom it, the real reason is crowds. I don't mean waiting in lift lines. I mean when you have several thousand of your closest weekend friends all hammering away at it, there it's pretty much wasted in no time.
answer: Magic

No. The real reason is terrain, and the fact that you can actually enjoy all of that great terrain at Magic right now.

DJC

I'll be at Mount Snow this weekend on a family trip, I don't go there often and was wondering if I could be pointed in the right direction regarding decent tree skiing. I've played around far skiers left in the northface area and enjoyed it. Are there other areas I should play around in? This may be a really stupid question considering it is Mount Snow, but are there any side country stashes around? A little hiking is fine by me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll be at Mount Snow this weekend on a family trip, I don't go there often and was wondering if I could be pointed in the right direction regarding decent tree skiing. I've played around far skiers left in the northface area and enjoyed it. Are there other areas I should play around in? This may be a really stupid question considering it is Mount Snow, but are there any side country stashes around? A little hiking is fine by me.

Actually, you're in luck! Apparently Mt. Snow is 101% open, that's right an extra 1%

http://www.mountsnow.com/snowreport.html

Seriesnuns

I'm thinking of heading to magic tomorow, what can I expect for lines there, will be my first time and I see there are only 2 lifts.

And if anyone can point out the good glade runs on the mountain it would be great!:snow:

tequiladoug

Website
www.douglas1.com
old plans was driving from Albany to Jay Sat morning (but I'd think it take us 6-7 hours driving thru the storm.)

new plans = Magic & a foot of pow Saturday, then driving up North and doing Jay on Sunday.

awesome.

reefer

Magic

How about endless pow, best southern vt terrain, and no lift lines...................................for the second time in four days!
Look out Magic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gmcunni

just tried booking a room near Magic. One guy practically laughed at me when i asked if they had any rooms still available. Ended up 1/2 hour away but will be at Magic at some point this weekend.

Toying with the idea of hitting Pico on Saturday and Magic on Sunday.. Maybe Magic both days.. so hard to choose :snow:

drjeff

On the map good areas similar in both pitch, and quality to that portion of The Trials that you mentioned would be Dark Side of the Moon in the Sunbrook area (stay to the right and it keeps on going, to the left dumps you out rather quickly onto Sunspot).

Also, on the main face, hit Sap Tapper (next to Ego Alley). Keep to the right after the first flat and the two headwalls that will come at you are an absolute blast!

In general though right now at Mount Snow, just about any set of trees in between the trails (whether on the map or not) were skiable and great last weekend BEFORE this weeks, and tonights/tommorrows storm put down all their snow, so if the space between the trees is wide enough to turn in, go for it!

bvibert

Staff member
I'm thinking of heading to magic tomorow, what can I expect for lines there, will be my first time and I see there are only 2 lifts.

Magic isn't exactly known for being crowded, so I doubt you'll have any problems. That said I've never been on a weekend, let alone a powder weekend day. When I've gone mid-week we always ski right on the chair, and that is with only one lift running...

BTW; Welcome to the forums!

DJC

On the map good areas similar in both pitch, and quality to that portion of The Trials that you mentioned would be Dark Side of the Moon in the Sunbrook area (stay to the right and it keeps on going, to the left dumps you out rather quickly onto Sunspot).

Also, on the main face, hit Sap Tapper (next to Ego Alley). Keep to the right after the first flat and the two headwalls that will come at you are an absolute blast!

In general though right now at Mount Snow, just about any set of trees in between the trails (whether on the map or not) were skiable and great last weekend BEFORE this weeks, and tonights/tommorrows storm put down all their snow, so if the space between the trees is wide enough to turn in, go for it!

Terrific, I will study the map and follow your advice. Thanks!

snobababunny

Magic, Flatton, or Mt. Snow???!

C'mon. Read the other thread going on about Magic. It's a no-brainer. Enjoy.