• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Antagonism, Debates and Hostility

Greg

Staff member
Just a friendly reminder to please keep the discussion here civil. I've made the decision to lock a few threads in the skiing forum lately. My approach in this regard is to simply lock topics after all points have been made and/or the discussion turns into a flame war, or senseless debate.

The forum policies clearly state no trolling. I reserve the right to classify anyone that likes to post just to incite debate as a troll. I will generally PM such a member and ask them to stop the behavoir (that never works) and if it continues, the member may be banned.

Sometimes it's tough for me and the moderators to sift through what's a legitimate opinion and what's antagonism aimed at starting a flame war. I don't want to inhibit anyone's right to voice an opinion, but please try to do so in a mature and respectful way. Locking/deleting threads, or banning members may not be popular, but it's sometimes necessary to preserve the quality of discussion.

My goal is to keep this a civil place where everyone can feel comfortable contributing. Antagonistic members make potential lurkers reluctant to post for fear of being attacked or ridiculed. That hurts the success of this forum and in my opinioin, is also a direct insult to me.

Finally, please don't feed the trolls' need for attention and do your best to simply ignore them (I'm as guilty of not doing this as anyone...). Can we just play nice now?

dmc

No more debates.... sorry... Didnt mean to directly insult you... It wasnt my intention

Will respectfully back away - since I tend to be a debater......

Enjoy the winter guys!!!!

It's snowing!!! WOOOHOOO !!!!

bvibert

Staff member
dmc said:
No more debates.... sorry... Didnt mean to directly insult you... It wasnt my intention

I think Greg's message was to discourage "senseless debates". I for one haven't noticed you in any "senseless debates", defending negative comments/opinions about something have intimate knowledge about hardly seems "senseless" to me... But maybe I'm off base here too...

JimG.

Staff member
bvibert said:
dmc said:

I think Greg's message was to discourage "senseless debates". I for one haven't noticed you in any "senseless debates", defending negative comments/opinions about something have intimate knowledge about hardly seems "senseless" to me... But maybe I'm off base here too...

I agree! Greg's note was directed at other threads in the past. Don't go DMC.

dmc

Just to be safe..
Cause I can be a self proclaimed a$$...
I'm gong to chill...

I understand what it's like to be a moderator...

Greg

Staff member
Let me clarify. I have nothing against discussing and debating topics here. To some extent that's what a message board is all about. It's when such topics degenerate into insults and mudslinging is what I have a problem with. I just ask that everyone simply respect each others' views and opinions. In fact, your differing opinion may be more well received if presented in a civil and mature manner. Finally, don't post something just to antagonize others or unnecessarily incite a debate.

B

beswift

Policies.

One drawback I find in this website would be that you don't provide a way to ignore posters one may find objectionable or offensive. I do believe that would reduce the friction between people.

dmc

Re: Policies.

beswift said:
One drawback I find in this website would be that you don't provide a way to ignore posters one may find objectionable or offensive. I do believe that would reduce the friction between people.

#1 beswift ;)

Greg

Staff member
Re: Policies.

dmc said:
beswift said:

#1 beswift ;)
Ha. Yeah, really. Why would you want me to add a feature that would allow everyone to ignore your well-thought and insightful (or is it inciteful ;) ) posts? :lol:

Anyway, there is an ignore mod available, but I'm reluctant to add any additional mods as it makes upgrading the forums when security patches are released a nightmare. No need to worry, beswift. If a member here continually gets out of line, he/she will be dealt with accordingly...