• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Overlook Moutain - Catskills

zepphead80

Got to the parking lot around 11 AM and strapped on rented snowshoes. It was clear that I was the first person on the trail for today anyway, since there were no tracks yet in the freshly fallen snow. Perhaps about 6" of new powder on top of 20" to 25" of harder packed snow, with larger drifts in places. Definitely snowshoe conditions. Sun and lake-effect clouds mixed, temperature about 40 F.

Made it to the hotel ruins around 12:15, took some pics, and hiked up to the fire tower. View from the top was amazing, though it was windy and I could only enjoy it for about five minutes. Started back down the mountain around 1:00, and by this time I encountered several people on their way up via the track I made.

Trip back down only took about 35 to 40 minutes, with a brief heavy snow squall, and then the sun once again. Arrived back at the lot around 1:45, and driving by 2:00. Perfect snowshoe day hike. About 5 miles round trip.

BeanoNYC

Thanks for the report and welcome to the boards. I was hiking just a bit south of you at Mohonk. Where in Brooklyn are you?

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Welcome to Alpinezone! I've been up Overlook only once and it was nighttime and foggy, perfect for visiting the old ruins but not so great for the views. :)

Where else do you hike? Primarily Catskills? ADK's? Taconics?

zepphead80

I've done a lot of hiking in the Catskills, but I've also recently done a small portion of the Long Trail in Vermont, Mount Greylock in Mass., Harriman State Park in Rockland County just north of NYC (not very tall mountains, but still some great views nonetheless).

There are places that I hiked many years ago when I first started backpacking, that I really want to get back to, like the Presidential Range in NH (I've been up Mt. Adams in February!) and Shenandoah National Park down in Maryland/Virginia. Even the Ouachita National Forest in Arkansas is pretty cool...

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Excellent! The Long Trail is a great hike, and my girlfriend always says wonderful things about Harriman (she lived in the area for many years).

Glad to have you aboard.