• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

late week storm?

loafer89

New England snowpack depth:

nsm_depth_2008030505_Northeast.jpg

wa-loaf

You don't need to live close to a river to be flooded out by snowmelt. If Maine in particular where to get heavy rain in the next few weeks, it's a potential disaster area for alot of people.

This may date me a bit, but I remember in 87 we had a great winter in Maine with a huge snowpack. There was a big rainstorm in April that caused massive flooding and wiped out a lot of roads and flooded all the towns along the rivers. It was a real mess. There was so much snow though that Sugarloaf managed to stay open. The gondola was still running from the base and they had these 6x6 wooden poles making up the lift line. Before the storm I could lean on the top of them and after I had to jump up to touch the top. They probably lost 6 feet of snow in one rain storm. That is a lot of water hitting the rivers at once.

loafer89

Imagine if Sugarloaf gets 107" of snow this April like they did last year. As of mid-February, Saddleback has nearly as much snow as they did in early April of last year as these two pictures taken in nearly the same spot illustrate:

Saddleback April 6th, 2007:
DazzlerApril8th.jpg

Saddleback February 16th, 2008:
Dazzlerdeepsnow.jpg

It's amazing how the Champlain Valley gets such a small amount of snow..based on the Latitude. It's in a bit of a rain shadow and has such a long growing season compared to the rest of New England..

This may date me a bit, but I remember in 87 we had a great winter in Maine with a huge snowpack. There was a big rainstorm in April that caused massive flooding and wiped out a lot of roads and flooded all the towns along the rivers. It was a real mess. There was so much snow though that Sugarloaf managed to stay open. The gondola was still running from the base and they had these 6x6 wooden poles making up the lift line. Before the storm I could lean on the top of them and after I had to jump up to touch the top. They probably lost 6 feet of snow in one rain storm. That is a lot of water hitting the rivers at once.

Wow..Blue mountain lost 1-2 feet of base in just the past two days..due to temperatures in the 40s and 50s and rain..But that's manmade snow which is way more dense. Every bit of the natural snowpack got wiped out..even a layer of ice..from several hours of freezing rain. It's amazing that off-piste terrain I was skiing 5 days ago is now bare ground..

One thing that rules about the east is how exciting and changing our climate is. I'd probably never be a weather nut if it wasn't for our uber interesting winter weather..

It's boring out west with their powder dumps and sunny skys..we get Thunderstorms in February..:blink:

AMAC2233

It's boring out west with their powder dumps and sunny skys..we get Thunderstorms in February..:blink:

Down here in MA we had not one, but TWO thunderstorms in JANUARY. One was right in the middle of the month, which happens to be the coldest time of the year...crazy stuff.

SKIQUATTRO

this is crazy, no one can seem to pinpoint the track just yet...some models have it shifting more west up into canada with the 12"+ while others are still optimistic that the track will be further east and coastal resulting in NVT getting the heavy snows....a slight shift will make a huge difference....As i learned long ago, if you have plans to go skiing, go!! where's Powederfreak??

tcharron

this is crazy, no one can seem to pinpoint the track just yet...some models have it shifting more west up into canada with the 12"+ while others are still optimistic that the track will be further east and coastal resulting in NVT getting the heavy snows....a slight shift will make a huge difference....As i learned long ago, if you have plans to go skiing, go!! where's Powederfreak??

*grumble* Bennington, NH forecast just went from 10" to...

Much less of a totally different kind of fallout..

This simply will not due.. :)

Yikes 2 inches of rain expected for the Poe-conos..and we just got 2 inches of rain..I hope it's at least sleet up north..

tcharron

Yikes 2 inches of rain expected for the Poe-conos..and we just got 2 inches of rain..I hope it's at least sleet up north..

What's KILLING it isn't the path.. It's the timing...

When we had 10", it was at night, 28-30 degrees at night..

Now it's saying rain, 40 degrees, during the day..

loafer89

It's looking more and more like a inland running storm at this point with alot of freezing rain forecast for the Wetern mountain Of Maine. At least that will not melt too much snow.

SKIQUATTRO

i think ME will be more of a mess with NVT getting more white....we shall see..