• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

sundown 3-12 afternoon

powhunter

Great day today.....got up around 1:30....Bumps were soft and forgiving.....met jonny poach and then greg...then proceded to lap temptor.....today was effin awesome.....practiced a bit on the kickers....got a spread.and an iron X...almost down....I was chicken shit in the beginning to hit them...but after just hitting them a bit straight on i got a little courage...jonny and greg were throwing down some old school cheese.....would have been awesome to have the rest of the crew......looks like ill be there tomorrow around the same time.....anyone else shoot me a pm..

steve

Greg

Staff member
I got there around 4 pm and skied my ass off until 7 pm. The bumps are beautiful. I think we're finally in the corn cycle so I hope they soften similarly for Sunday. You could just crush the lines today. Slush explosions! The first hour was amazing; second best bump day ever, bested only by the Friday night powder bump night a few weeks back. It then started to crunch up a bit, but still was forgiving into the evening. Jonny and powhunter convinced me to rock the knee flags today. Good luck with the Krylon approach, boys! :lol:

I got the spread dialed for the first roller. Chris Sullivan says they plan to add a few lips on there. I nailed a couple of complete single twisters on the bottom kicker and a pretty feeble twister-spread attempt. I think I'll play conservative on Sunday and concentrate on a good single twist. The Velveeta was flowing this afternoon for sure. :spread: :lol:

Skied a few runs with loafer89 and Warren. Sorry if I was short with you guys this afternoon. I didn't mean to come across anti-social, but I was in full on practice mode. Met with Brian for only one run on the bumps. Then Nor'easter was roped for grooming so we did a run down Tom's and cut over to hit the lower kicker a few times. I finished on Gunny a bit after 7 pm as N'E was still roped when I had to leave. Gunny was firming up pretty quickly. Hope the bumps are still soft for Brian tonight.

Chris Sullivan also said they will extend the new lower bumps a bit. There are only 3 or 4 rows right now.

Wow the Velveeta was flowing..the snow must have been mad creamy..It was mad Applesauce a little southwest of you where I was grilling up Steeze in the bumps and booters of Blue mountain..Holla

Greg

Staff member
I was grilling up Steeze in the bumps and booters of Blue mountain..Holla

You really need to bring that mad steeziness up to the mighty Sundown on Sunday. Come on, GSS. Imagine if you school all of us the bragging rights you'll have...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think we should all plan on Mount Snow for their last Sunday of the season that they're open. We'll have an impromptu AZ bump off with peir voting at the end of the day for kicks. Snow seems like the most central location to all.

I say this now and I'll probably get stuck in some work obligation :roll: But it would be a good way to end the season with an AZ meet up as I bummed for not being able to make the Bush.

Greg

Staff member
I think we should all plan on Mount Snow for their last Sunday of the season that they're open. We'll have an impromptu AZ bump off with peir voting at the end of the day for kicks. Snow seems like the most central location to all.

I'm game. I do think Snow will push for a late closing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm game. I do think Snow will push for a late closing.

I imagine tickets will be cheap anyway, but perhaps if we can get 20 or so to commit it will end up an even better deal. It would be kind of cool to have the season start and 'somewhat' finish with an AZ outing at the same location.

That said, I hope to still be skiing at Sugarloaf or Wildcat in May, but I recognize those areas are a bit far of a hike for most on the board.

You really need to bring that mad steeziness up to the mighty Sundown on Sunday. Come on, GSS. Imagine if you school all of us the bragging rights you'll have...

Sorry..I'll be at Blue Sunday..they're only open 10 more days so I have to get in where I fit in..Ya Heard..

2knees

ohh shiiiit. i wish i had a picture of a gauntlet being thrown.

DH, good idea. Mt. Snow will be killing it, bump wise, if they stay open till late april/early may.

I hope to see all you guys at Bear Mountain Mogul Contest. Looks like you have all picked your game up.

Greg

Staff member
I hope to see all you guys at Bear Mountain Mogul Contest. Looks like you have all picked your game up.

Ha ha ha. :lol: BMMC is for the big boys like yourself. Our little local contest is for the wannabe hacks.

bvibert

Staff member
Bumps were pretty sweet when I got there around 6pm. They quickly firmed up after Greg left though. By 8 they were pretty rough. The evening groom screwed me out of several runs, which sucks, but it is what it is. After Greg left I over shot the lower kicker on the left and pretty much fell on my face (too far forward), ejecting out of one ski. I landed hard on my left side, knocked the wind out of me and now my shoulder is even more screwed up than it already was. I also landed on my keys, so not I have a big sore spot on my left thigh. :roll: Other than that and getting yelled at by ski patrol it was a pretty good night. At some point I decided to work on the upper jump so I hiked back up to hit it a few times. I'm having a lot of trouble landing it and being able to continue on into the bumps. I ended up calling it a night at 9pm.

Greg

Staff member
Dude - you have to save big wipe-outs like that for Sunday! Less speed; more "pop" needed on both jumps.

Seriously, hope you're okay.

loafer89

Yesterday was fun and the moguls on Temptor where really nice and soft until around 6pm when the snow started to freeze up. If you can believe it, yesterday was the first time ever that I have skied a freshly groomed trail at Sundown and Gunbarrel was great for the first run down and I got third tracks on it.

In all I did 5 runs on Temptor, 2 on Stinger, 2 on Canyon, 4 on Gunbarrel, 1 on Nor'Easter, and 1 on Tom's Treat/Canyon, not bad for three hours of skiing.

The snow got really firm by the time we quit and headed home at 7:30pm.

bvibert

Staff member
Sorry I missed you Loafer. I saw you a few times, but we just never got synced up.

loafer89

Sorry I missed you Loafer. I saw you a few times, but we just never got synced up.

That's okay, I did not want to get in anyone's way with Warren in the moguls even though I am now chasing him down them anyway:blink:.

We did look for you guys around 7pm, but I figured with the snow freezing up everyone had left. There was a sort of mass exodus at 7pm.

The snow depth on the mountain is very impressive with what looks like 2-4' in most spots.