• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pack Monadnock

LongStep

Date(s) Hiked: March 13, 2008

Trails(s) Hiked: Marion Davis trail to Warpack trail

Total Distance: Roughly 2.8 roundtrip

Difficulty:Fairly easy on the ascend. Only a few spots could have used minimal traction.
Traction would have helped greatly on the descend. The warpack had either started melting or rained and then snowed on top of it. With all the ledges on the way down it made for a slightly tricky situation plus I hiked this after work so light was getting pretty non existent when I hit the lot at 7pm.

Conditions: Packed snow on Marion Davis which was very nice. The Warpack was icy and with the ledges I had to be very careful one slip and it could have been a game over situation. Gonna need some traction for the next time I hike in winter.

Special Required Equipment: Not sure if crampons would have been over kill but some traction would have helped.

Trip Report: One of the few days when i was done with work early in the day I decided that I would hike. It would be my first winter hike due to a solid season of skiing. I arrived at the mountain at 4pm. My car was in the shop so my ride was going to check out the Keene and Peterbourogh towns while I hiked. Made nice time up the Marion Davis trail stopping a few times to admire some views to the west. Only saw one guy close tot he summit and we kindly exchanged hello's. I had the whole summit to myself which I found strangely comfortable. somethings about being on top of a place all alone made the time seem exciting. I decided to take the Warpack trail down and started my trip down. I realized immediately that this would be more difficult being that much of the trail had not been broken through. It looked like the snow had started to melt in spots and became icy and then snow had fallen on top of it. Where there was snow covering the ice I had nice traction but I had to take some evasive manuevears near a few of the open ledges otherwise it could have been ugly. The night was approaching and the sleet was already falling when I hit the auto road crossing and saw my ride waiting just a few feet down. Was nice to get out and do some hiking in the winter and by the looks of it winter will be around for quite awhile in that neck of the woods. Next time im bring the skis for the auto road.

LongStep

lol was wondering why my dictionary program was picking that up. Pack along with north pack is a great local hike where I can drive 30 minutes home and not 3 hours.