• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Mountain of Maine - March 15, 2008

salsgang

Date(s) Skied: March 15, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Black Mountain - Maine

Conditions: Powder to Spring Conditions

Trip Report: Very nice day at Black Mountain of Maine. First time the boyz and I had been here. Nice new base lodge and triple to the top. We were motivated to try out this hill based on a recent trip report by Loafer89.

They got a couple of inches overnight which was a good thing - as it was pretty much hardpack / boilerplate underneath. But as temps warmed up to the upper 30's, things softened up and this skiing became quite good. Black has an 1100' vertical, and is pretty much a green and blue type runs. But they have a decent pitch and are a lot of fun with lots of small jumps on the side of the trials to goof around on... and there is some nice short steep pitches just about to the bottom, under the summit chair and to the skiers left. Dead Cambridge is the name of the trail I think. We bombed over there a lot during the day.

We skied 9-2:30 and had a blast. Good fun. Great day to spend some time with the family. Its certainly worth the price ($25 adult, $21 junior). I encourage folks to check it out!

Couple of pics from the Upper and Lower Androscoggin Trial.

20080315black1.jpg

20080315black2.jpg

loafer89

I am glad to see that you made it up to Black Mountain and that the conditions where decent. This place is not well known and is a local's mountain and it's almost like skiing a private ski area because it's so uncrowded. Dead Cambridge is cool and was filled with deep powder when we where there, short but sweet.

soulseller

Hidden Gem

I was at Black about 6 weeks ago after the day after they got about 6"s which sat on top of another 12"s they had gotten earlier in the week. It was great, best day i've had all year. We stuck mostly to the lift line and a few other trails spouting off of it which they had left natural, great snow, lots of fun natural hits. Hardly anybody there, maybe 20 cars in the lot when we arrived at 9:30am on Sunday and maybe 50 when we left around 1pm.