• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Squaw Mtn - 1/16/2005 (Sunday)

bigbog

Date(s) Skied: Sunday Jan. 16 9am-1pm

Resort or Ski Area: Big Squaw Mountain (Greenville, ME.)

Conditions: FRGR/Hardpack....... Temp: 15-25F

Trip Report:
I got in four hours of frigid, but fun short-radius activity on a single and deserted Intermediate groomer (Upper Squaw Brook -> Upper Fritgerald -> Lower Squaw Brook ) on the resort's Lower portion of the mountain. "Hardpack" to "frozen granular"(which has to be the understatement of the month) with ice underneath every 20'. Frigid...mainly from using my cold 3yo Atomic boots and having to retreat to the small main dressing room for warmth every 4th run or so :roll: :roll: :lol: ...however my Elan S10s have nice edgehold and made for an easy ride through/over anything...and kept the day fun.
This was my first time up to ski the area...have hiked/climbed the mountain and surrounding area many times....years ago. It's an enjoyable climb, with nice views at the top.
I REALLY would look forward to getting to the summit with some deep snowcover....as there are some nice looking steep pitches in places to the small mountain...it has a lot more terrain with potential than simply what has been cut out of the tree-filled ridges, however getting to the summit..now...and for that kind of "steeps potential" to become reality, it looks like it's going to take new ownership with some $$$...sooooo, for now it's just another area out in the Maine boonies that may stay very local, but I always enjoy getting back to the Moosehead Lake landscape. 8)

Steve