Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Death at Wachusett

This is terrible --

http://telegram.com/article/20080318...803180428/1101

Skiing accident claims life of boy, 17

Injuries suffered at Wachusett Mt.

By Jean Laquidara Hill TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

PRINCETON—
    A 17-year-old boy from Westport died yesterday afternoon from injuries suffered in a skiing accident Sunday morning at Wachusett Mountain Ski Area.

Andrew Dumont, 17, of 12 Ivy Meadow Lane, Westport, was seriously injured about 11:40 a.m. Sunday while skiing on an intermediate trail at the ski area, Timothy J. Connolly, spokesman for the Worcester district attorney’s office, said yesterday.

David I. Crowley, general manager for Wachusett Mountain Ski Area, said later yesterday that the boy, a senior at Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School in Fall River, had died at UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus, Worcester, yesterday afternoon.

“He went out of control on Lower Balance Rock Trail,” Mr. Connolly said yesterday. “He did lose control and went off the trail and into the woods,” he said, adding that he apparently struck a tree. Mr. Connolly said emergency services were provided to the teen by the Wachusett Mountain Ski Patrol before he was taken to the hospital in Worcester and admitted to the intensive care unit.

State troopers assigned to the Worcester district attorney’s office are investigating the incident, as is the district attorney’s usual practice with serious accidents and unattended deaths.

“As far as we know, the young man was skiing and he went off the trail and he hit a tree,” Mr. Crowley said. He described the young man as well-liked and respected among students at Diman Regional, where he was a member of the school’s hockey team. Mr. Crowley said he believed Andrew was skiing with his family at the time of the accident.

Mr. Crowley said there did not seem to have been any incident or skier interference involved in the accident.

“Our ski traffic was moderate to light,” Mr. Crowley said. The ski surface was machine-groomed with snow depths of 30 to 42 inches at the time of the accident, he said.

The Wachusett Mountain Ski Patrol responded to the accident, taking the injured teenager down from the mountain to a base first aid facility. From there, he was taken by Advanced Life Support ambulance, Med Star, to Leominster Hospital and then transferred by Life Flight helicopter to UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus.

“There’s a certain amount of risk in skiing,” Mr. Crowley said, adding that Wachusett Mountain ski staff tries to provide the safest ski conditions.

“He paid the ultimate price,” Mr. Crowley said.

“This is a very sad time for the ski patrol,” he said. “They had a very difficult time, and I’m sure his family is having a difficult time.”

He said it was the fourth fatal accident on the mountain in the past 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_151 View Post
    This is terrible --

http://telegram.com/article/20080318...803180428/1101

Skiing accident claims life of boy, 17

Injuries suffered at Wachusett Mt.

By Jean Laquidara Hill TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

PRINCETON—
    A 17-year-old boy from Westport died yesterday afternoon from injuries suffered in a skiing accident Sunday morning at Wachusett Mountain Ski Area.

Andrew Dumont, 17, of 12 Ivy Meadow Lane, Westport, was seriously injured about 11:40 a.m. Sunday while skiing on an intermediate trail at the ski area, Timothy J. Connolly, spokesman for the Worcester district attorney’s office, said yesterday.

David I. Crowley, general manager for Wachusett Mountain Ski Area, said later yesterday that the boy, a senior at Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School in Fall River, had died at UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus, Worcester, yesterday afternoon.

“He went out of control on Lower Balance Rock Trail,” Mr. Connolly said yesterday. “He did lose control and went off the trail and into the woods,” he said, adding that he apparently struck a tree. Mr. Connolly said emergency services were provided to the teen by the Wachusett Mountain Ski Patrol before he was taken to the hospital in Worcester and admitted to the intensive care unit.

State troopers assigned to the Worcester district attorney’s office are investigating the incident, as is the district attorney’s usual practice with serious accidents and unattended deaths.

“As far as we know, the young man was skiing and he went off the trail and he hit a tree,” Mr. Crowley said. He described the young man as well-liked and respected among students at Diman Regional, where he was a member of the school’s hockey team. Mr. Crowley said he believed Andrew was skiing with his family at the time of the accident.

Mr. Crowley said there did not seem to have been any incident or skier interference involved in the accident.

“Our ski traffic was moderate to light,” Mr. Crowley said. The ski surface was machine-groomed with snow depths of 30 to 42 inches at the time of the accident, he said.

The Wachusett Mountain Ski Patrol responded to the accident, taking the injured teenager down from the mountain to a base first aid facility. From there, he was taken by Advanced Life Support ambulance, Med Star, to Leominster Hospital and then transferred by Life Flight helicopter to UMass Memorial Medical Center — University Campus.

“There’s a certain amount of risk in skiing,” Mr. Crowley said, adding that Wachusett Mountain ski staff tries to provide the safest ski conditions.

“He paid the ultimate price,” Mr. Crowley said.

“This is a very sad time for the ski patrol,” he said. “They had a very difficult time, and I’m sure his family is having a difficult time.”

He said it was the fourth fatal accident on the mountain in the past 25 years.

thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and the ski patrol that did all they could to save him.

That is terrible

It was non crowded day with nice spring condition but I noted ski patrol were unusually busy. There were many patrols attending injured on the slope and carrying them down on sled.

I noted Lower Balance Rock was taped off in the afternoon. It is a twisting narrow trail through the wood.

My condolences to his friends and family. This is sad news.
    Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. - Dave Barry
    Waterville 11/30; Loon 12/7; Cannon 12/13, 1/17, 2/23; Sugarloaf 12/20, 21-22; Bretton Woods 1/3; Jay Peak 1/24-25; Heavenly 2/9; Squaw Valley 2/10-2/11; Wachusett 3/3; Sunday River 3/7-8

First of all, my condolences to anyone close to this tragedy.

This is too close to home since I have a 15 yr old. Last Friday one of his buddies got hauled off Cannon after a crash in the trees. Fortunately, he was just bruised up. When I got to him he was wedged between 2 trees-legs and board on the downhill side and arms/head uphill. I could only imagine the worst. He had no helmet on but it turns out he had one in his bag.

I'm torn between letting the boys explore their capacities and being the bitch that tells them that some ideas are just plain stupid. I think I will make a mandatory helmet rule for any kid that skis/rides under my watch. They will also know that I will personally cut off their tickets if they break my rules and let them sit it out in the lodge.

I'm not suggesting the young man who passed away was being foolish-I wasn't there. We all crash at times. It's just such a transitional stage of life. I remember launching myself into the trees at Loon at that age and barely missing both a huge rock and huge tree. I had a mild concussion and sore leg. I respected icy conditions from that day forward more than ever.

Now go hug your kids.
    ------
    Chris K http://chickenjam.blogspot.com
    The Ski Cheap Or Die Calendar Project -If you have anything that you think should be on the calendar, pm me!

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

This made the evening news last night and they mentioned it was the second death this year at WA. And that the other person died sledding? Which is odd because there's no tubing or anything at WA. Anybody know more about this incident?

Condolences to the family.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Very sad, my condolences to all involved

Quote Originally Posted by ckofer View Post

I think I will make a mandatory helmet rule for any kid that skis/rides under my watch. They will also know that I will personally cut off their tickets if they break my rules and let them sit it out in the lodge.

I would do the same and that's coming from someone who has only had a helmet for my last three days out. Better to play it safe

Quote Originally Posted by ckofer View Post

Now go hug your kids.
    This.
    Even though I don't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    This made the evening news last night and they mentioned it was the second death this year at WA. And that the other person died sledding? Which is odd because there's no tubing or anything at WA. Anybody know more about this incident?

Condolences to the family.
    Looks like this is the incident you are talking about.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2008...50/0/FRONTPAGE

Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
    This.
    Even though I don't have any.
    Beat me to it. I do hug my kid. Every day.

Bad enough when its an older adult, but a kid dying is a real tragedy.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Thread Information