• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death at Wachusett

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcharron

No man, Wachusett really is a death trap. You seriously risk your life anytime you ski there.

Oh, and I never fall.....except when I do. When I do, it's never that bad.

Did I ever tell you guys about the "manditory GS turn" style of freeskiing....? It's legendary...

Ok Bode... You have fun with that.

Greg

Staff member
Did I ever tell you guys about the "manditory GS turn" style of freeskiing....? It's legendary...

I know of at least one AZer that saw you on Superstar last spring. He wasn't impressed...

SKidds

No, I'm not kidding.

I agree the father should have said "might" instead of "probably", because he really doesn't know.......but might is more than enough reason to don a helmet.

I don't buy the arguments of false security, reduced hearing and range of vision, etc. For one, I don't think they are universally true. Since I've started using a helmet I haven't experienced any reduced hearing or vision that would affect my skiing. I believe that argument to be a red herring. As for the confidence thing, I wonder if it applies to the average skier. Again, it hasn't changed the way I ski. Someone who was likely to put themselves in extreme jeopardy in a foolish way may do so even more with a helmet, but such a person was probably already an accident waiting to happen.

I agree that a helmet won't protect every skier in every accident. Skiers with helmets do die all the time. I would even bet that a majority of the non helmet wearing head injury fatalities you see would probably still happen if the victims had worn a helmet. But I don't think anyone would argue that some percentage of those fatalities would have been prevented. Heck, even if it's one in a hundred (I'd bet it's a good bit higher), what if that one was your child? or you? How many of us really want to die doing the thing we love when a $60 piece of plastic and styrofoam might have saved us?

So, you are saying that if everyone just skis like they are in a NFZ all the time that nobody will ever fall? I didn't realize the solution was that simple. Oh, maybe it's not. No matter what level of caution you use, and especially on terrain of increasing difficulty, a fall is just momentary lapse of concentration, a slight dip, a patch of bulletproof, or a little low light away from happening......for any skier, no matter how good, no matter how focused. Except for you I guess, because you have never fallen, ever.

So what exactly do you believe the problem is that should be fixed?

Sorry.....my pneumonia has me in a bit of a cranky mood this afternoon ;). But I do enjoy the debate!

Highway Star

I know of at least one AZer that saw you on Superstar last spring. He wasn't impressed...

I highly doubt anybody on here actually knows how to ski...or can tell when I'm goofing off for the spring crowd.....

hammer

Except for you I guess, because you have never fallen, ever.
I thought that I saw the phrase "if you aren't falling, you aren't learning" somewhere around here...guess HS is so good that he doesn't need to learn anymore. :roll:

Highway Star

I thought that I saw the phrase "if you aren't falling, you aren't learning" somewhere around here...guess HS is so good that he doesn't need to learn anymore. :roll:

No, I'm so good I can learn without falling.

Greg

Staff member
I'd like to apologize to the family of the deceased if they happen to read this thread.

You're so right. I should never have even replied to Highway Star. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.