• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing upper Mount Mansfield ?

B

BickMaster

Anobody knows (or will be honest enough to tell ;O)) where and how is the best climbing access and bowl-glades-tree runs for backcountry skiing on upper Mount Mansfield?

I've been up to the communication tower over the quad chair yesterday but the terrain is not so skiable (huge cliff on right hand of the climb and very dense spruce woods).
I guess the best terrain is over the gondola...

Any advice about this type of New England backcountry skiing ?

Thanks!

MrMagic

have never done it at stowe, but there is great book out called STOWE published last or the year before, has all kinds info about skiing some of the hidden trails, abover the gondi trails, back side trails , as well as the "chin" chutes and trails. that would be your best bet. almost sure you can by the book vai amazon . good luck do you tele? or At? the book talked about how some of the trails are at telemarkers dream!!!!

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Umm, there is no sking off the chin. :-?

Actually, I hiked the chin yesterday with some friends just for kicks. No sking off the chin yet this year. That is to say, the boot pack up to the chin, roped of outside the Gondi House, is very tight pine shrub. Also, the chutes you speak of also end in very tight pine shrub. And from there it would take you many hours of the tightest bush whacking know to man to locate your exit. The North ridge of the chin is probably impassable w/o crampons and tools right now, and judging by the running water in many inbounds stream beds, HellBrook would probably be more of a steep creekers dream, and a skiers night mare.

we need a good 2 feet and some wind before that stuff starts happening. Right now at Stowe you're better off sticking to the most trimmed woods shots like left of hayride, or Angelfood. A guy broke his arm in Angelfood Sunday. Stil a bit Boney in there, I guess. Everything that isn't aggressively cleared is full of underbrush right now, the best snow that I've found has been Waterfall, left side, both pitches. Short, but fun.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
the book backcountry skiing adventures: VT & NY has some information on the back country options on mansfield. however, there are many many secrets untold. most people are (rightfully so) fearful about posting details on the net to the better shots that get ruined after too much traffic. best to find someone who knows the mountain well and do what ever it takes to make a new buddy.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
riverc0il said:
however, there are many many secrets untold. most people are (rightfully so) fearful about posting details on the net to the better shots that get ruined after too much traffic. best to find someone who knows the mountain well and do what ever it takes to make a new buddy.
Very true. The basics are easy to pick up, but there's lots that's not written down.

I've hike up to the ridge, skied across on my tele gear, and skied down the chutes from the real summit to the top of the gondola area. But you need good snow for that, and I don't think it's available right now. Some of the backcountry trails might be getting in shape, but otherwise it still sounds pretty grim.

-dave-