• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

omitting the lifter on Salomon bindings

SkiingInABlueDream

Im going to recycle a pair of Salomon bindings for my next skis. I forget the exact model [S912 maybe?] but they look like every other 12-max-DIN-with-lifter-plate binding Ive seen by Salomon in the last 5 years.

Can anyone think a reason why it would be either impossible or unsafe to mount them to skis w/ the lifters omitted? Having un-mounted the bindings, it seems like this should work fine. Thoughts?

twinplanx

another binding question

I also have some decent old Salomon bindings that I've mounted on a my rock ski's. The only problem I'm having is one of the toe pieces' will not "clamp" down on the toe of my boot. I think there may be a screw stripped? Any advice? (besides hucking down the cash 4 new)
Reduce : Reuse : Recycle : repeat :beer:

Hawkshot99

I also have some decent old Salomon bindings that I've mounted on a my rock ski's. The only problem I'm having is one of the toe pieces' will not "clamp" down on the toe of my boot. I think there may be a screw stripped? Any advice? (besides hucking down the cash 4 new)
Reduce : Reuse : Recycle : repeat :beer:

Salomon's usully have 2 screws for adjusting the toe setup. They have a wing adjustment, and toe height adjustment. What model are they?

twinplanx

looks like a 900 s spheric? I guess the two smaller ones on the side are "wing" adjustment? And the large on on the top is the one that clamps down on the toe. I've attempted to screw it down but the toe of my boot seems to float. Will the wing adjustment correct this or is it time to pay the piper?

Sorry Skifastr did not mean to highjack your thread.

SkiingInABlueDream

looks like a 900 s spheric? I guess the two smaller ones on the side are "wing" adjustment? And the large on on the top is the one that clamps down on the toe. I've attempted to screw it down but the toe of my boot seems to float. Will the wing adjustment correct this or is it time to pay the piper?

No worries on the hijack - I already got what I needed.
Now regarding your questions above, the answer to all of them is "yes". Here's what I was told by a guy who works in a tuning shop [this is what I remember from a chairlift conversation]. You're supposed to turn the large top screw on the toepiece until you've got 1/2 mm extra space on the toe. They use a special spacer to test the gap between the boot and toe of the binding. Turn the small screws on the side to close the wings up the the front of the boot. Basically, open them up all the way then as you close them up, count turns on each screw so (so that you know you're turning each side an equal amount) until the wings touch the boot. Then go an extra 1/2 turn on each side for snugness. (actually I dont remember if it was 1/2, 1/4 or full turn.) Maybe you should go to a shop unless someone else can give you more solid advice and/or you're willing to experiement.

Hawkshot99

Ok, the little screws on the sides adjust the "wings" you want the wings snug but not too tight. If you keep tightening them down then it will push the ski backwards and affect the forward pressure.

The big screw on top adjusts the toe height. Most other ski companies have a automatic adjuster. by spinning this screw it raises/lowers the toe height. The tighter this is the harder it is to release the toe in a side to side twist. There is a plastic card that I use to measure the height. It is pretty thin, but off the top of my head I have no idea on the width.

With your problem(the "floating toe"), how worn down are the soles of your boots? Is it tightened down all the way?

It may be time for new boots/boot soles if they are really worn. The binding may be worn out too.
**Just an FYI there is no 900S on the salomon indemnification list. There are S900's with different endings...
S900 Alium
S900 Carbon
S900 Carbon Axe+
S900 Carbon Drive Plus
S900 Carbon Poweraxe
S900 Equipe
S900 Equipe Alium
S900 Equipe Alium Axe+
S900 Equipe Alium Drive Plus
S900 Equipe Alium Poweraxe
S900 Equipe Axe+
S900 Equipe Drive Plus
S900 Equipe Poweraxe
S900 Equipe Race
S900 Equipe Team
S900 Equipe Team Axe+
S900 Equipe Team Drive Plus
S900 Equipe Team Race
S900 Ti

This is also the 2006-2007 list, the most current list I could find online.**

twinplanx

Nice, thanx guys... I will attempt a fix sometime soon (it's a lil' past mt bedtime now) These bindings are a bit older and somewhat scratched, but if/when I can find more specifics I'll post. Thanx again guys

twinplanx

OK here's the update the boots are slightly worn down, nothing major(I don't think). The bindings are a bit scratched/scuffed and some of the logo stuff is missing but it looks like a 900 Alium. No heres so new info in front of the toe(where the boot fits under the wings) but behind the large screw that wrenches down the whole toe piece theres a metal "prong" that seems outa place. There is a small metal plate on the toe base and it seems to be blocking the toe from clamping down. I'm guessing the prong should bee behind the plate?....Well I just compared it to the other ski and it now looks like it belongs in front of the plate :(

Last edited: