• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Next years ski purchase

snowmonster

I am pretty sure the Baron is more similar to the Jester. Or at least that is what one of the ski reps told me.
From what I remember, the Baron is more like the Duke in the sense that they unlatch into a climbing mode to allow for AT ascents with skins. The toe and heel pieces are connected by an arm which connects to a plate on the ski. Because of this, there's a slight increase in stand height over a conventional non-system binding without risers. From what I gather, the Baron is the lighter, cheaper and lower din-range model compared to the Duke. The Jester is the park and pipe binding and looks like the more traditional alpine binding.

Mildcat

I pulled the trigger on the 8000's. I ended up buying 172cm's. I figured that would probably be better for my midget self. I tried them out yesterday and today at Loon.

I was pleased at how well they actually carved before the snow softened yesterday morning. They felt good in the bumps even though I suck at bumps and they performed great in the inch or two of dense snow they had today.

I can't wait to use them at Sugarloaf this weekend.

wa-loaf

Nice mildcat

I got my eyes on these right now. I keep mentioning my desire for a rippin' race ski for hardpack groomer days, these might be it

http://cgi.ebay.com/Race-Stock-Atom...ryZ16062QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

....or I might wait for July. Could find a better deal on a new pair then.

I say if you see something you like and the price is right, buy it. I think by mid-summer a lot of deals dry-up, from either being sold out or people at that point hold onto them until the fall swaps where they can get more money.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I say if you see something you like and the price is right, buy it. I think by mid-summer a lot of deals dry-up, from either being sold out or people at that point hold onto them until the fall swaps where they can get more money.

very good point

that mentality might actually be starting. I've been watching on ebay for about the past three weeks and it seems like the number of quality new auction items is becoming less and less

I think its a REALY good deal because it includes bindings and plates. Owner has been pretty straight up with the questions I ask to.

deadheadskier

Staff member

wa-loaf

That's a great deal too

I think 170 might be a tad short though. I'd rather err on the side of being too long, than too short with what I'm asking of the board.

Yea I figured, but I didn't know your build. I bought bindings for my Ragetigers from these guys so I've been poking around there a bit. Some pretty good deals there. I'm actually thinking of picking up some of the kids ski gear from them too.

skibum9995

mondeo

Ok, after 3 prereleases on my first 2 runs last Sunday (those bumps were hard,) I'll be getting new bindings. Look PX 12, or whatever the Dyna or Rossi equivalent is.

deadheadskier

Staff member
USSA equipment regs are changing for next year so you should be able to find some good deals on one year old skis that are no longer legal.

That's a good point as well.

Part of me wants to pull the trigger this spring, but the other part of me doesn't as I'll have no use for the skis until the fall.

...and then ofcourse the girlfriend and I are shopping for a new condo this summer, which she keeps reminding me of when she sees me on ebay :lol:

wa-loaf

Part of me wants to pull the trigger this spring, but the other part of me doesn't as I'll have no use for the skis until the fall.

...and then ofcourse the girlfriend and I are shopping for a new condo this summer, which she keeps reminding me of when she sees me on ebay :lol:

It is painful looking at my new skis in the basement knowing I can't use them till next season. :-(

But I think I might not have bought them yet if I was out skiing . . .

RISkier

Overall, I'm really happy with my current skis (Nordica Nitrous) but might try to pick up a skinnier carver with a short-turn radius if I can find a good deal on a pair of used or demo skis. My boots seem to be packing out. The shell fit seems fine so my big purchase for next year will likely be either new liners or possibly new boots. Right now I'm thinking I may try to go the liner route to keep costs down.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It is painful looking at my new skis in the basement knowing I can't use them till next season. :-(

But I think I might not have bought them yet if I was out skiing . . .
At least yours are more out of sight. Mine are in the kitchen right next to the computer desk. I have to look at them all day long. The boots, too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup, but I'd expect it to get up to $200 by the end of the auction.

I saw these at $299 (might be too short?) with bindings: http://www.levelninesports.com/head-world-cup-igs-wff17-bind-skis-170cm-p-3008.html

Suprisingly, they actually went for $149.99. Someone got a good deal. I've decided I'm gonna wait. It might cost me more doing so, but with a possible condo purchase looming.....I need to keep my expenses in check

ofcourse, ya never know, late at night a few glasses of wine in me and.........we all know what can happen :lol:

wa-loaf

Suprisingly, they actually went for $149.99. Someone got a good deal. I've decided I'm gonna wait. It might cost me more doing so, but with a possible condo purchase looming.....I need to keep my expenses in check

ofcourse, ya never know, late at night a few glasses of wine in me and.........we all know what can happen :lol:

Shows what I know. :-D I thought the racetigers would go for $200 too and I only bid $150. Won them for $118. So I guess don't take any ebay bidding advice from me. :lol: