• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

Jcb890

Have you tried one of the "rent your home" websites?

I've only been using AirBnB for about 1.5 years now, but I've used it 3 times and have had some great success.
Yes, we always travel this way instead of hotels when traveling. I've used it in VT as well for a get-away. Still, overpriced for the area. The market kind of is what it is though, so I think I'm pretty much bitching for no reason.

crank

Yes, I was just going to post about Jay's conditions..

KustyTheKlown

Saturday was the coldest ski day of my life, but I still got in 4+ hours and 20K + feet, and my girl had a really good time trying to snowboard (2 hour first timer lesson)

we woke up sunday and it was -20 and Stratton didn't have the upper mountain open, so we opted for room service breakfast in bed, coitus, and a leisurely drive home stopping at a few breweries for beer to go (suarez and Hudson valley)

it eventually warmed up to 10 and Stratton opened the summit, but I'm fine with our choices. having the nice hotel made the weekend enjoyable even with minimal skiing.

So Inclined

we woke up sunday and it was -20 and Stratton didn't have the upper mountain open, so we opted for room service breakfast in bed, coitus, and a leisurely drive home stopping at a few breweries for beer to go (suarez and Hudson valley)

Welcome to Beacon!

Where is Suarez? I've heard of it but don't know where they're located.

KustyTheKlown

Welcome to Beacon!

Where is Suarez? I've heard of it but don't know where they're located.

a bit south of Hudson in Livingston NY on 9. they predominantly make farmhouse style country beers, tart, saison-ish. they have a couple of IPAs but that is not their forte. they just release a crimson hued bierre de garde for the first time which I picked up in a 750ml bottle. I want to let it rest a couple months before I open it.

the amorphia from Hudson Valley Brewery may be one of the best beers I've ever tasted. sour IPA with hints of strawberry and a lovely pink color

So Inclined

a bit south of Hudson in Livingston NY on 9. they predominantly make farmhouse style country beers, tart, saison-ish. they have a couple of IPAs but that is not their forte. they just release a crimson hued bierre de garde for the first time which I picked up in a 750ml bottle. I want to let it rest a couple months before I open it.

the amorphia from Hudson Valley Brewery may be one of the best beers I've ever tasted. sour IPA with hints of strawberry and a lovely pink color

I don't believe I've had the Amorphia yet, but did have an Observance while out last night. HVB really likes their sours, and they do them very well.

KustyTheKlown

yep. I really like beacon a lot. if I can ever get away from the city in terms of work, it would be a top choice for me. maybe one day.

So Inclined

yep. I really like beacon a lot. if I can ever get away from the city in terms of work, it would be a top choice for me. maybe one day.

Going by your location, you would be feeding right into the (much-reviled by "old Beacon" locals) stereotype that everyone who's moved here in the past 5 years has come up from Brooklyn.
It's not completely true (I've lived here close to ten years and never lived in the city) but not completely false, either. A lot of growth in the past few years especially, and significant shifts in housing prices/rental costs, mostly from people moving up out of the city/Westchester. Depending on where one works and when they need to be there, the commute into the city is doable - a bunch of people I know are on that Metro-North every day.
Meanwhile, Hunter is 1 hour 15 mins from door to parking lot driving tranquilly (push the limits on the Thruway and you might make it in an hour) Windham just a bit longer, and southern VT is hardly more than 2 hours away.
There may also be a few local loons who get it in their heads to strap on the AT gear and revive the spirit of Dutchess Ski Area up on Mt Beacon whenever it dumps properly.

KustyTheKlown

I was eyeballing the incline railway path up mount beacon yesterday, another few feet of snow and that looks like fun.

I would never want a mandatory 90 minute commute every day each way, so a Hudson Valley move is out for the foreseeable future. if I can ever work for myself, or find acceptable work upstate, I'd move in a heartbeat

So Inclined

<<<<<<<-------------- hence my username :)

Not sure you'd want to straightline the actual incline railway path if you even could. I've thought about dropping down the main hiking trail down the front after a 12-15" storm but have yet to make it happen (bring beater skis unless you there is a few feet of snow, it's very rocky.) It seems like the thing to do is hike over to the vicinity of the old ski slopes and bushwhack down.