WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae
    Giant Nor'Easter? NOAA's not saying anything about it. I hope it comes, really I do. Really really. I want a snow day off!
    Been hearing rumblings of a nor'easter as well..

The colder it gets, the more dedicated you must become to ski. Last January was very cold at Sugarloaf with the temperature between -10-15F and when I skied at Orford it was never warmer than -20F with full sunshine. The key is lots of thin layers, my electrically heated boots really help also

My NWS office thinks that the storm on sunday will be a coastal snow event. I think it will be a coastal snow with snowfall reaching as far north as the NH/ME border.

Hopefully the storm will track further inland and nail the ski areas.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc
    Giant Nor'Easter? NOAA's not saying anything about it. I hope it comes, really I do. Really really. I want a snow day off!
    Likesie, but from what I'm hearing it's to effect the mid-Atlantic mostly, but then again we're 5 days out so anything can happen...
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc
    Likesie, but from what I'm hearing it's to effect the mid-Atlantic mostly, but then again we're 5 days out so anything can happen...
    Thats basically why i havent really been saying anything..

I'm hoping though!!! Could use one more good blast and we're woods skiing!!!

Last February I skied at Montjoye and it was -22F for night skiing. Thankfully there was no wind. The lift ride was bearable, but coming down the slopes was brutal.

The more good carbs I eat, the more I can tolerate those cold temps. A candy bar gives a boost but for me does not last. I found out that consuming caffinated beverages the day of skiing reduces my tolerance to the cold.

Today's cold is no joke folks....I have been in the barn all day. I was going to head over to the Loaf today and stayed hone with pets instead. It's not only cold here in Central Me, it's very windy. I was skiing last Thursday (Loaf)and had an absolute blast all by myself. I didn't get there until 11 and got soo many runs in that it was completely unbelievable.I really like my Bonze Pass! I used the Spurline Trail to the Terrain Park and had more fun that a women my age should be having!!!!
    I did get to do the lower part of Gondi Line and that was fun. I have to be honest...I had not done skers right yet this year. It was ungroomed and bumpy,, and I had great fun doing it. Followed up by visit to the Bag and a beer:

Pray for Snow

There was a weekend at Mount Snow I'll never forget. Saturday was 13 below zero and windy--you had to warm up in in the lodge after you got off the lift, and again after you skied down before you could get on the lift line again. We quit two hours early. Sunday, it soared to 24 above--and it felt like summer time! Ten below freezing, and it actually seemed warm!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skican
    I was skiing last Thursday (Loaf)and had an absolute blast all by myself. I didn't get there until 11 and got soo many runs in that it was completely unbelievable.
    Reminds me of a day I spent at Hunter Mountain. Good news, an unexpected late spring storm; bad news, the weather delayed the arrival of the ski bus by ninety minutes. I was pissed, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise--the place was half deserted, so I was able to get in more in enough extra runs to compensate for the late start!

"Too Cold" to ski what? Bullet proof 300' of boring vertical can be too cold at a much higher temp than killer terrain with light fluffy snow up to your nutsack.

I had no interest in skiing tonight, but I'll get in a full day tomorrow. For now, it's a fire, dinner and a beverage, hangin' out with the cats.

Too cold for skiing? You got to be kidding. With today’s technology in high tech fabrics and boots it is never too cold to go skiing. Maybe too windy but never too cold. Try skiing at Whiteface years ago with leather boots, thermal underwear, and blue jeans when its -30F degrees and windy. You shiver so bad your teeth hurt. Now that’s too cold. Today you never get too cold.

Thread Information