WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    I have skied in -20F temps a number of times. It does not really bother me. I have cross country skied in -52F (no windchill) my last year of high school on the reservoir in Parishville, NY.

Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

One night I was I was skiing at Eldora in Colorado. Happily looping, it seemed a bit chilly and I didn't see other skiers. At 8PM (they were open until 9) the liftee said "Hey buddy, could you give us a break, its -25 below, you're the only one skiing and we want to go home." Also had a 50 degree transition over one chairlift ride at Loveland. 25 at the bottom, 0 at midstation (ignored warniing sign), -25 at the top, howling winds. Nothing but windpack. Painful traverses and kick turns to get the hell out of there.

The greatest thing about skiing in below zero temps,well, 2 best things,the trails are empty and the snow conditions stay great all day.
    SIKSKIER

Back in 1982 on a college ski trip to Killington ne morning it was -15 at the base lodge, the peak was -31 with heavy wind. They said the wind chill was -60 to -90 at the peak. All you could do was one run then you had to go inside and warm up. No way I'd even try to ski on a day like that .
    Most people's cars wouldn't start and they were stuck their hotel. Forget it if you had a diesel.

Unfortunately for me my threshold for cold has become much lower as I grow older. Agree with the empty trails and good snow conditions. The problem for me is that in recent years I find that I can't seem to keep my hands warm. Tried the mitten thing, hand warmers etc but not much seems to work. Feet are usually fine and a nylon head warmer under the helmet and neck gator have never let me down but the fingers just get to the point of being uncomfortable and at that point it becomes no fun.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

depends on whether lodging and lift tickets have already been paid for.

It's too cold to ski when it's too cold for skis to be able to glide on snow.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    The greatest thing about skiing in below zero temps,well, 2 best things,the trails are empty and the snow conditions stay great all day.
    +1
    SteveD

skiing in cold weather does not bother me at all. It's the windchill that I can't stand. I hate face mask or neckies, so I refuse to ever wear one. I feel like I can't breathe, or that I can't move my head.
    I have skied below zero in a shell, and no face mask on many occasions and been perfectly comfortable. But those are days when there is no windchill.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
    But those are days when there is no windchill.
    There is always windchill when you're hitting tuna speed!

Thread Information