• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

SkiFanE

Damn..and my pipes froze in one of my bathrooms..too close to outside wall in a crawlspace..
Oh man that sucks. Hope it didn't burst. We got back to MA from Xmas vacation - thankfully all good. Left heat at 56.

I usually hold little hope for January skiing - either cold or windy or icy. After last week I actually think January would be a good month to escape someplace warm for a month. Never thought I'd even think that - but this stuff sucks lol.

Smellytele

Truck won't start this AM. I have -17 at my house here in central NH. Can't jump it because the hood release cable is frozen as well. WTF! Rather take a day off to have fun now I have to burn one and do nothing!

kingslug

Oh man that sucks. Hope it didn't burst. We got back to MA from Xmas vacation - thankfully all good. Left heat at 56.

I usually hold little hope for January skiing - either cold or windy or icy. After last week I actually think January would be a good month to escape someplace warm for a month. Never thought I'd even think that - but this stuff sucks lol.
Valved it off. But the genius who plumbed it toed it into the washing machine feed..so every time we need to do a wash I have to turn it on. Have to repipe the whole damn thing..in a crawlspace...oy.

kingslug

Truck won't start this AM. I have -17 at my house here in central NH. Can't jump it because the hood release cable is frozen as well. WTF! Rather take a day off to have fun now I have to burn one and do nothing!
Can you keep it on a trickle charge each night?

Jcb890

Thursday at Stratton was too cold... but in part because I didn't dress properly.
Yesterday at Killington I think was actually colder (high of -10 at the base), but dresses properly so it wasn't a huge issue.

tnt1234

We decided Sunday in N. VT was too cold to ski. Skied Friday and Saturday. But the wind picked up Sunday and we just didn't have it in us. Too bad - conditions were excellent the first two days.

Re: Cars not starting.....we got up Monday morning and started packing to leave, and my wife saw that one of the car doors was left open all night! It was like -15 overnight, maybe it was -10 in the morning...

She groaned a little, but started! Couldn't believe it.

I did just put a fresh battery in about a month ago.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've skied solo down to maybe 5 below or so. I can last a few hours then.

With my family, I would have a hard time getting them on the mountain in anything below maybe 10 or even 15 degrees at the base.

KustyTheKlown

honestly I'd probably skip this coming weekend, but my new girlfriend is really eager to try snowboarding (she surfs, so i'll allow her that decision). she injured her hip last surf season and has a surgery next week, so this weekend is really her last chance. she already purchased a ski Vermont beginners 3 pack, and I'd hate for her to just totally eat it. I'm trying to overprepare her for the cold, and I'm booking a nice place in Manchester, skiing okemo and Stratton, and we'll eat dinner at that nice restaurant in the old house in Manchester on 7A (i forget the name but know exactly where it is).

bdfreetuna

^ Good plan but you should go to Magic assuming we get some good snow before the weekend

Also one of the better hills to take warm-up breaks at.

Smellytele

I've skied solo down to maybe 5 below or so. I can last a few hours then.

With my family, I would have a hard time getting them on the mountain in anything below maybe 10 or even 15 degrees at the base.

You're alive! Haven't seen you on here in a long time.

Jcb890

honestly I'd probably skip this coming weekend, but my new girlfriend is really eager to try snowboarding (she surfs, so i'll allow her that decision). she injured her hip last surf season and has a surgery next week, so this weekend is really her last chance. she already purchased a ski Vermont beginners 3 pack, and I'd hate for her to just totally eat it. I'm trying to overprepare her for the cold, and I'm booking a nice place in Manchester, skiing okemo and Stratton, and we'll eat dinner at that nice restaurant in the old house in Manchester on 7A (i forget the name but know exactly where it is).
Sunday looks like the much more manageable day. Good idea on over-preparing for the cold - you can always lose layers if you're too warm.

KustyTheKlown

don't wanna waste 5-pack magic day on a day when my noob girlfriend could be unhappy. want to go to magic alone or with my ski buddies.

tnt1234

I used to be a half decent surfer, but it sure never translated to snowboarding for me. Never could get the hang of it.

I'm sure that's just me though.

Jully

I used to be a half decent surfer, but it sure never translated to snowboarding for me. Never could get the hang of it.

I'm sure that's just me though.

Had a friend who grew up surfing and picked up snowboarding fairly quickly. Never took a lesson and on his second day was doing top to bottom Wildcat groomed blues with me. Took his time getting down, but you would NOT have thought it was his second day. I had no idea until he told me at lunch!

It definitely varies by person though.

kingslug

I'm biting the bullet and buying.....heated socks. Lenz 5.0....cost a fortune but so do my toes. Between them and the boot gloves I should be good. My right foot went numb at K 2 weeks ago. A little scary as it took an hour to thaw out. That and 6 layers, mitten liners 2 heat packs, and the best balaclava I have..good to go. The wife on the other hand..we shall see. She wants to see if she can ski with a bit of an injury she has had for 3 months. Figure I'll stick to Spruce Sunday morning and see how the top of Mansfield is later. Can't go up there and not ski..that would be..crazy..and get to try out my new snow tires. Blizzac DVM-2. The all seasons were..all over the place.

drjeff

I'm biting the bullet and buying.....heated socks. Lenz 5.0....cost a fortune but so do my toes. Between them and the boot gloves I should be good. My right foot went numb at K 2 weeks ago. A little scary as it took an hour to thaw out. That and 6 layers, mitten liners 2 heat packs, and the best balaclava I have..good to go. The wife on the other hand..we shall see. She wants to see if she can ski with a bit of an injury she has had for 3 months. Figure I'll stick to Spruce Sunday morning and see how the top of Mansfield is later. Can't go up there and not ski..that would be..crazy..and get to try out my new snow tires. Blizzac DVM-2. The all seasons were..all over the place.

Worth the $$!!

My wife and my daughter have had them for about a season. My son and myself have now had them for about 5 days ;)
Really made a difference this past weekend. Much more than my hotronics as the field that the heating elements within the sock covers is far greater, and not just over the base of your foot!!

My wife's and daughters pairs have held up great! Just remember to air dry, as opposed to in the dryer, as Lenz recommends for cleaning care!

VTKilarney

how much are they and are they available in any stores in nyc so i can use this weekend?

$350 on Amazon. I'm not sure how well that correlates to the street price.

You realize, don't you, that if you buy yourself a pair you are going to have to buy your girlfriend a pair. As someone who has flown trans-continental in first class while my wife was in coach, I can assure you that the repercussions aren't worth it.