• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

KustyTheKlown

$350 on Amazon. I'm not sure how well that correlates to the street price.

You realize, don't you, that if you buy yourself a pair you are going to have to buy your girlfriend a pair. As someone who has flown trans-continental in first class while my wife was in coach, I can assure you that the repercussions aren't worth it.

i was asking for her not for me! but if the answer was $50, I'd have gotten for both of us

tnt1234

I'm thinking about heated gloves for my daughter. her finger tips get cold awfully fast. Ruins her day sometimes.

Jcb890

I was gonna ask if they're for snowboarders because my wife's feet got cold yesterday at Killington, but at $350?! Nah.

NYDB

My wife uses the Volt stuff. Socks, mittens and vest.

Keeps her happy and on the hill. This past week it was much needed.

I'm glad I don't get cold because it's too much shit for me to keep track of with all the chargers and batteries, etc.

I barely remember to charge my chips and ipod

Jully

Does she use gloves or mittens? I use over size mountaineering mittens with hand warmers.

Curious about hand warmers too. Toe warmers suck, but hand warmers have always worked great for me. Mittens all the way too. For a younger kid I would assume she would outgrow the gloves before the heated gloves get close to the cost of hand warmers. That said I'm sure heated gloves are really nice!!

tnt1234

Does she use gloves or mittens? I use over size mountaineering mittens with hand warmers.

mittens, liners, hand warmers. Still gets cold.

Now, granted, last week was her first days of the season, and it was pretty extreme, but her finger tips were painfully cold, where as the rest of us were cold, but OK.

tnt1234

Curious about hand warmers too. Toe warmers suck, but hand warmers have always worked great for me. Mittens all the way too. For a younger kid I would assume she would outgrow the gloves before the heated gloves get close to the cost of hand warmers. That said I'm sure heated gloves are really nice!!

She's 15, so, pretty much done growing. Hand warmers help, but the tips of her fingers and toes get painfully cold.

kingslug

Crazy expensive I know but after thawing out my feet for an hour, which I never had to do before..well, guess after 50 things change.

Edd

Cold feet are a much trickier problem than cold hands. Mittens get the job done simply, and you can bunch your hands up while on the lift for extra warmth.

With ski boots, you’re screwed if your feet start to go cold. I’ve never heard of these socks, and $350 is too much for me. My feet are fine with no warmers above 20 degrees. Once we’re in single digits though, my feet will go cold even with toe warmers. If I could snag those socks for $200, now we’re talking.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

mittens, liners, hand warmers. Still gets cold.

Now, granted, last week was her first days of the season, and it was pretty extreme, but her finger tips were painfully cold, where as the rest of us were cold, but OK.

Are the liners in the glove form? If so scrap them, fingers together work better then having them separated.

drjeff

Crazy expensive I know but after thawing out my feet for an hour, which I never had to do before..well, guess after 50 things change.

This getting older stuff isn't all that its cracked up to be at times!!! Especially when we're talking about warm blood circulation in things like toes and fingers while out on the hill!!

Running joke with my ski buddies this past weekend was "Money may not be able to buy happiness, but it sure can buy a bunch of warm ski gear!!" ;) :lol:

tnt1234

Are the liners in the glove form? If so scrap them, fingers together work better then having them separated.

That's exactly what we decided she would try next.

There also is some thought that maybe her hands are getting too warm and perspiring, leading to cold fingers. might try leather mittens also which evidently breathe more.

but you know, I;ve bought her so many glovesand mittens of the years, I should have just bought heated gloves from the start. Would have been cheaper! My buddies wife suffers from poor circulation and heated gloves and boots were game changers for her.

Smellytele

With toe warmers I find they work better on top of your toes than under them. Also they last a lot less time than handwarmers. Replacing them at lunch time helps a lot.
Another good use for toe warmers is to use them on your iphone to keep it from dying from the cold.

tnt1234

With toe warmers I find they work better on top of your toes than under them. Also they last a lot less time than handwarmers. Replacing them at lunch time helps a lot.
Another good use for toe warmers is to use them on your iphone to keep it from dying from the cold.

On Friday when it was like -8 at the base, my daughter had a hand warmer in her palm, and a toe warmer stuck to the backs of her fingers (over her liners).

Seemed to have helped a little.

SkiFanE

I found if you open toe warmers, stick to your toes (top) and shove into the boot - they never work too well. I open them up at home - put in boot then - by the time I have to stick them on they are hot and so aren't my boots.

Another tip - if your ski boots are at room temp (70 is generous at my house lol) - off the bat your feet are going from 98.6 to 70* before you even went outside. I warm up my boots by woodstove, shove my ski mittens in them, toss in boot bag (with toe warmer if really cold) and at mountain they are toasty warm and I rarely get cold toes. I swear room temp boots cause you to recover all day. (We also have electric things you can put in boots if you don't have woodstove).

skiur

When it is too cold out you need to get off the groomers and hit some bumps, or ski something you have to hike a little to get to. Groomers= lost body heat, bumps= added body heat.

kingslug

I'll know if they work Sunday at Stowe. Hell I might wear them on Saturday to try them out when it minus 16. Just walking around town should be an adventure at those temps.
And since I bought the wife the Heated gloves and socks ..I'm in for a bundle. Just about what the Arcteryx jacket costs by itself, and that thing is great and guaranteed for ever. . You sometimes get what you pay for.

tnt1234

I'll know if they work Sunday at Stowe. Hell I might wear them on Saturday to try them out when it minus 16. Just walking around town should be an adventure at those temps.
And since I bought the wife the Heated gloves and socks ..I'm in for a bundle. Just about what the Arcteryx jacket costs by itself, and that thing is great and guaranteed for ever. . You sometimes get what you pay for.
I think you are in for a great day Sunday.