• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

mlctvt

Unfortunately for me my threshold for cold has become much lower as I grow older. Agree with the empty trails and good snow conditions. The problem for me is that in recent years I find that I can't seem to keep my hands warm. Tried the mitten thing, hand warmers etc but not much seems to work. Feet are usually fine and a nylon head warmer under the helmet and neck gator have never let me down but the fingers just get to the point of being uncomfortable and at that point it becomes no fun.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

My wife has Raynaud's syndrome so I bought her a pair of these electric mittens. http://www.ventureheat.com/
She couldn't ski without them.
The batteries last the whole day if you don't use the highest setting. These work much better than the disposable packs.
Expensive but it could be worth it.

ScottySkis

I ski in most cold weather but if it is very windy and that makes me uncomfortable, so if I on weekend get away and it -10 and 30 mph wind I ski with lots of breaks. If it that temperature and winds going at local hill and not a powder day I stay home.
Unless I am Elk in a fleece when I should be wearing a coat that day last year the cold got to me quick.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
My wife has Raynaud's syndrome so I bought her a pair of these electric mittens. http://www.ventureheat.com/
She couldn't ski without them.
The batteries last the whole day if you don't use the highest setting. These work much better than the disposable packs.
Expensive but it could be worth it.

I looked up Raynaud's syndrome. That sounds awful but she copes well it seems.

Hawkshot99

Not sure what "Neckies" are :) but if it is below 25 I where a neck warmer and if below 10 I wear a balaclava. below zero both.

Neckies are what I have always heard fleece neck warmers called.
I wear a balaclava under my motorcycle and snowmobile helmets but hate them skiing.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

jack97

I wear a face mask and wristies for my hands, never had a problem with these areas. It's my toes that get cold, one time I had a slight case of frostbite on my toe nail area.... I got really worried that it would sideline me for the rest of the ski season.

planb420

When is it too cold to ski??? NEVER!!!!! In the 20+ years I have been boarding I have never decided it was too cold to continue. I'm sure there is a magic tempreture out there that could drive me away, just have not encountered it yet. :p

AdironRider

Im aging gracefully, pulled the plug today after one run with windchills in the negative 40 range.

Wavewheeler

About the time this thread was started (9 years ago...really?) My daughter and I woke up to -30 at Windham one day (not the wind chill) and skied in -15/windy all day. It didn't get above 0 the 3 days we were skiing up there. I invested in a bunch of REALLY cold weather stuff in the local ski shops before heading out because frostbite is a real possibility.

This week I'm bitching because it's going to be in the 30s and 40s at Killington and rain. Go figure. :roll:

Cornhead

Ski patrol on the gondi at Gore showed me spots on his face that were frostbite damage from Tuesday, -35° wind chill.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Wicked1

When is it too cold to ski?

I don't do crowds and don't like arctic cold!

My pass isn't good for the Holiday period anyway. That is peachy with me.

Spend some quality time in the gym doing leg work.

Practice guitar, piano, watch some movies...

This week is going to be a freezer.

Gotta make a run to the liquor store for some booze.

chuckstah

When is it too cold to ski?

I don't do crowds and don't like arctic cold!

My pass isn't good for the Holiday period anyway. That is peachy with me.

Spend some quality time in the gym doing leg work.

Practice guitar, piano, watch some movies...

This week is going to be a freezer.

Gotta make a run to the liquor store for some booze.
Skied once at Loon with minus 35 air temp. Wind chill something like minus 70. Most cars in the condo lot would not start. Mine did so we went. Nice ride on the then new gondy. Good. One ride up the shiny new N peak triple and needed a break. That was too cold. As it warmed to near minus 10 it almost was bearable. One run. Break. Another run. Fireplace. Must be 30 years ago now and in those conditions now....hot tub and beer by the fireplace. But with 2 feet of blower...who knows???

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

I took a ride up to the top at Hunter once when it was minus 40 or worse up there. They told everyone not to go..so I had to of course. By the time I got up there I could barely move..Slid down and went inside. So for me that was too cold to ski.

Smellytele

I have skied with my wife and 3 boys at -20 with no wind and sunshine and we were fine. Another time I skied with a friend at -26 with 40 mph wind, no sun and it was not so good. 1 run and break, 1 run and break.

Glenn

Coldest I skied was at Burke in the 1990's over February break. It was brutal.

Our passes our blacked out this week, so we'll won't be skiing in these temps.