• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
the wind always does me in, not the cold air. the wind in the boston metro area in brutal, i can't imagine what the top of a mountain might be like today, ick. not too cold, not too windy.... but too windy and cold.

RossiSkier

The cold and the pins and needles in the wind seriously hampers your ability to have fun. It's good for a few runs, but then it's back by the fire.

bvibert

Staff member
If you don't like crowds then skiing in the cold is definately the way to go. It was completely deserted after the school kids left last night at Ski Sundown. I didn't load any customers on my lift after about 7:30, they finally decided to close the lift an hour early at 9:00. Granted I was at working the learning area, but main part of the mountain didn't have more than like 10 people after the small race crowd left.

B

beswift

When I rented skiis at Inverness in Waitsfield one day it was 30 below (without the turkey wind factor). A group came in at 9 in the morning. It was led by this very aggressive buster of a gal. I told her that she wouldn't enjoy skiing that day and that I didn't feel right renting to her. She insisted. (I related this story to another gal from Up-state and we had a good laugh together much later on). Anyway she obviously had read the bumper sticker and HAD TO SKI MAD RIVER. She told me that she hadn't driven all the way from the Big Apple to be disappointed by some dingaling in a local-yokel ski shop. I rented her the skiis. They were back before noon and admitted that they didn't take more than one run.

jimme

Someone mentioned that it's personal and I agree. What is frigid to someone might be just cold to another. Often, I see people without hats or wearing a sweater or for pants- blue jeans and looking just as warm as can be when I'm more bundled up with a helmet, coat and ski pants. Some people tollerate the cold better.

Last spring at Jiminy it was in the mid 40's and most skiers had on sweaters and light coats, no hats etc. Beautiful sunny day too. I noticed two skiers who were bundled up so no skin was exposed as if it were 0 degrees. I kid you not! Rode the lift with them and found out they were from Maryland which explained why they were so bundled up.

Last year at 0 degrees I gave in after an hour and a half. Just too cold for me. This years' low is 15 degrees, so I'm guessing my low is somewhere near 10 degrees.

Jimme

skican

Yep, went back to the Loaf yesterday. I usually don't mind the cold. I only buy the best as you get what you pay for mom always said. I was missing a layer ( can't find my old turtleneck) and I was really cold. No really! It was 15 when I got there, a wind, but nothing crazy. Timberline and Kind Pine were closed as usual. That didn't stop me from skiing. Hardly anyone was there and I had the terrain park almost to myself. I really like to hit Spurline Trail and fly down to the park and rip through. Too much fun. Spurline sort of reminds me of Upper Ravine at Cannon. My fav trail.

I did go over to Gondi line as there seemed to be a fair amount of new snow on the ground from the last mini dump. The huge bumps on Gondi were frozen and the new snow kinded blended in and made or a fun little run and reminded me I still haven't had my skis tuned. I think I did 8 or so runs and had a very good time. I gotta tell you my commute over is heaven. I did not have one car in front of me the whole time. Back too! We are going to go over tomorrow and ski again. My hubby hasn't been yet this season. Yesterday makes 7 days out so far. I am picking up the pace and trying to use my pass more than once a week.

Have fun all and stay safe! :beer:

LineSki15

How close are you to the loaf? LUCKY!
I'm driving the 4 hours up from Boston in Feb.
the Loaf it my fav resort in the east. gondi line rules!!

Terry

to cold to ski

It is -36 here this morning, so we are going to wait a while before we go out. Probably will be making runs by noontime. Just to friggin cold this morning!!! :beer:

Irishpub3

dmc said:
Zand said:
-15 isn't cold. I've skiied colder than that and it still didn't feel cold. I was outside in a sweatshirt today and wasn't cold.

...wow... You actually skied in a sweatshirt today... Or were you just taking tha garbage out???

Come on.... -15 is friggin cold... - you risk frostbite.. It can be dangerous if your not prepared... It's irresponsible to try and make others think that it's OK to go out in -15 weather.. If they are not used to it....

dmc..... you sound so responsible :lol: what's wrong with you? :blink:

just kidding :D

oneotwoandcounting

The coldest I ever skied was at Sugarloaf in 1981 (Real temp. -34 F, wind-chill -85 F). I skied for four hours and saw only one person on the slopes. It was so cold that when I stepped out of the Gondola house and started skiing I had an ice cream headache. I had everything covered and did not get frostbite. However I have had more frostbite at Whiteface than I can remember. I also had another ice-cream headache last Tuesday ridding the Facelift Quad. I made three runs and went home. Why?

"I ain't what I used to be, but who the hell is?" - Dizzy Dean

If you ski sub zero temps in the wind be careful. Keep everything covered, check for frostbite and stay close to a lodge or warming hut and go inside when you are cold. I know that's not very macho but common sense works much better than macho. Skiing is about having fun and dong your best at not hurting yourself.

"Today if you are not confused, you are just not thinking clearly." - U. Peter

RossiSkier

ANSWER: When hypothermia set's in.

Treating Hypothermia: A life-saving skill
The growing popularity of outdoor recreation has resulted in greater demand for an effective on-site method for treating hypothermia. Other than for mild cases, the most effective and safest treatment for all levels of hypothermia is the addition of heat to the body core, rather than via the periphery.

The most important phase of treatment is the prevention of post-rescue collapse during the first 30 minutes following rescue, and during transportation to a medical facility.

Phases and treatment of hypothermia.

After-drop
A further cooling of core temperature occurs after the victim is removed from the cold environment. This after-drop is often responsible for post-rescue collapse.

Pre-hospital stabilization
Preventing respiratory heat loss and progressive cooling, of the heart through the tissues is essential. This cooling if not arrested, can lead to ventricular fibrillation of the heart. Patients who are unconscious, with a temperature below 30°C or 80°F, may not respond to defibrillation. Thermally stabilizing a patient with suitable equipment is necessary, both before transportation and enroute to the hospital to prevent additional cardiac complications.

Core rewarming
This is the most effective treatment for all cases of moderate to severe hypothermia, whether treatment occurs in the hospital or in the field.

Inhalation rewarming
As the only non-invasive hospital treatment suitable for active core rewarming in the field, inhalation rewarming donates heat directly to the head, neck, and thoracic core (the critical core) through inhalation of warm, water-saturated air at 43 - 45°C (107 - 122°F). This method also warms the hypothalemus, the temperature regulation center, the respiratory center, and the cardiac center at the base of the brainstem. In many cases, this rewarming of the central nervous system at the brainstem reverses the cold-induced depression of the respiratory centers and improves the level of consciousness.

Beside this strategic donation of heat, inhalation rewarming also eliminates . .
Respiratory heat loss. This accounts for 10% to 30% of the body's heat loss. This is particularly important in rescue situations where the ambient air is cold (cooling of the core through respiration).

In summary, inhalation rewarming is highly effective in providing "basic life support" through thermally stabilizing the core and brainstem temperatures. It is safe for treatment for all levels of hypothermia, but is particularly important for severe cases, because insulating alone (blankets), does not prevent further cooling of the core.

The first half hour during rescue is the most critical phase of hypothermia management!

Avoid having the victim assist with their own rescue!

Muscular activity by the hypothermic victim pumps cold peripheral blood from the arms and legs into the central circulation causing the core temperature to drop even further. Gentle handling is critical! A cold heart is particular susceptible to ventricular fibrillation, and some victims may suffer fatal ventriculation when jolted about during initial handling or transportation.

" The inhalation rewarming method is now our first choice in the re-warming treatment of all stages of hypothermia in the wilderness environment. "

bvibert

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Don't know about too cold to ski, but at the momet, it is way to warm to ski. Unfortunately.
No kidding! It'll get there though, and then all the whining can begin... ;)

:snow:

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
-1 now, my co-worker just left for her ride break. I'm going to wait for her to come back with her report to see if I will brave the weather