• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WHEN IS IT TOO COLD TO SKI

dlague

Well my family night skied at Shawnee Peak ME on a night where it was -11 F, Bretton Woods last year where the temp was 0 F with wind-chill much lower, Wildcat on a -4 day not including winds last year and Saddleback -5.

As long as you are protected the temps are manageable. It is the darn chair lift rides that are killer especially at Sabbleback on Rangley Double

Riverskier

Not such thing, it is just a matter of dressing approriately for the given weather. I actually love sub zero days on winter weekends, as it keeps the crowds down significantly.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I took this photo at Cannon some years ago. It was -14ºF. Except for the bit peeking out from behind my goggles I had no exposed skin. I would not have been able to ski if I hadn't purchased that mask in the Cannon shop that morning.

Fourteen Below by Bob Misu, on Flickr

C-Rex

Depends on the wind and the terrain available. If it's windy and I'm at a place with no gondola or bubble lift then single digits is about as low as I care to go. But with low or no wind and plenty of snow in the woods I'll go as low as I've seen so far, which is probably around -24 at Sugarloaf several years ago. As long as I can be in the woods I'm generating enough body heat to stay plenty warm. It's the lift ride that's the problem. Give me a gondola, tram or bubble lift and it's all good.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I was at Jay a couple years ago, -17 with advertised wind chills in the -30s. Tram was closed all day due to the wind. The skiing was actually pretty good, and for the most part the lift rides weren't bad, except for the Flyer. We only made the mistake of riding that once.

quiglam1

Never to cold to ski. Just have to go in more to get warmed up and drink more alcohol.:stirpot:

KD7000

I was at Mt. Snow once where the static temp was just above 0* but the wind chill made it -20 or maybe even lower. I can't recall exactly, but I know it was stupidly cold. Mostly I remember there were frostbite warnings posted all over the place, and the lift attendants wouldn't let anyone on who showed any exposed skin. That was really cold on the lifts and rather unpleasant at times while heading downhill.

Last winter we hit Stowe on a 0* or -1* static temp day. But there was no wind at all, it was very sunny, and not much of a temp drop from base to summit. No crowds at all- That day was fantastic. We only noticed the cold towards the end of the lift ride, and not at all while on the snow.

skifree

I don't care how cold it's is as long as no wind.

Loud snow is good snow

Puck it

I have skied in -20F temps a number of times. It does not really bother me. I have cross country skied in -52F (no windchill) my last year of high school on the reservoir in Parishville, NY.

JoeB-Z

One night I was I was skiing at Eldora in Colorado. Happily looping, it seemed a bit chilly and I didn't see other skiers. At 8PM (they were open until 9) the liftee said "Hey buddy, could you give us a break, its -25 below, you're the only one skiing and we want to go home." Also had a 50 degree transition over one chairlift ride at Loveland. 25 at the bottom, 0 at midstation (ignored warniing sign), -25 at the top, howling winds. Nothing but windpack. Painful traverses and kick turns to get the hell out of there.

mlctvt

Back in 1982 on a college ski trip to Killington ne morning it was -15 at the base lodge, the peak was -31 with heavy wind. They said the wind chill was -60 to -90 at the peak. All you could do was one run then you had to go inside and warm up. No way I'd even try to ski on a day like that .
Most people's cars wouldn't start and they were stuck their hotel. Forget it if you had a diesel.

4aprice

Unfortunately for me my threshold for cold has become much lower as I grow older. Agree with the empty trails and good snow conditions. The problem for me is that in recent years I find that I can't seem to keep my hands warm. Tried the mitten thing, hand warmers etc but not much seems to work. Feet are usually fine and a nylon head warmer under the helmet and neck gator have never let me down but the fingers just get to the point of being uncomfortable and at that point it becomes no fun.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Hawkshot99

skiing in cold weather does not bother me at all. It's the windchill that I can't stand. I hate face mask or neckies, so I refuse to ever wear one. I feel like I can't breathe, or that I can't move my head.
I have skied below zero in a shell, and no face mask on many occasions and been perfectly comfortable. But those are days when there is no windchill.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Smellytele

skiing in cold weather does not bother me at all. It's the windchill that I can't stand. I hate face mask or neckies, so I refuse to ever wear one. I feel like I can't breathe, or that I can't move my head.
I have skied below zero in a shell, and no face mask on many occasions and been perfectly comfortable. But those are days when there is no windchill.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Not sure what "Neckies" are :) but if it is below 25 I where a neck warmer and if below 10 I wear a balaclava. below zero both.