• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is cold TOO cold?

gores95

We are going up to ski Okemo, VT this weekend, staying three nights and skiing Friday and Saturday. My wife and seven year old will be skiing with me. Friday's HIGH is forecasted to be 2 degrees and Saturday the high will be a balmy 8!! Not sure what the winds will be like but even calm it will be FRIGID. :eek:

Bottom line when is it too cold to enjoy skiing? I don't mind the cold as much, but I have my kid enrolled in an all day ski program and my wife is a newbie taking lessons. I have honestly NEVER skiid in temps this low.

Seriously should I think about postponing the trip and go next weekend? Again if it was some buddies and me going I would not think twice about it. I guess on the plus side maybe the low temps will keep the mountain relatively empty.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Marc

gores95

Guys I just noticed someone else posted a similar question. Sorry about that. If anyone has any thoughts, though, it would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Marc

D

danaes

hi there! i know what u mean. I skied Stowe one weekend.one of the COLDEST January 2003 weekend . We skied and there were guys on the lifts with us saying to me and my girlfriends "u girls are troopers. our wives are staying in today. u may be the ONLY girls out here today" we just laughed.. thats when i knew i was officially nuts. :) .good nut that is. But yeah, i understand what u mean with a child and the newbie skier wife :) . I'd say u all should fine. But thats me diehard dana. need better advice than me. help?

RossiSkier

Friday 4 / -17 PART CLOUD; Sat 6 / -6 PART CLOUD; Sun 9 / 1 SNOW

Not a bad outlook. But if you're staying at Okemo, you're probally not far from a nice hot fire. We stayed at Trailside of the Sachem. It wasn't quite this cold, but the wind off the summit could freeze a prostate gland. It's good to have a helmut.

The nice warm padding insides is the best on cold days. Okemo is a great place to bring the family. Where are you staying at Okemo??

gores95

We are actually staying in the Springfield Holiday Inn Express (about 20-25 minutes away). We used our points for a free room! :D

My biggest conern is not so much for me but for my kid and especially my wife. The daily high temps I quoted (6 & 8 updated) were for Ludlow. Obviously the summit is a whole different story and I want my kid to at least ski the mountain from the summit, which from a skill standpoint she can do.

The other approaching factor is this Saturday night/Sunday possibility of a nor'easter for our area. We are driving home from VT to NJ on Sunday so this adds to the issue. I know we could probably stay another night in VT and leave on Monday but just another thing to consider.

I am going to call Okemo this morning and ask about the childrens' programs and what they recommend.

Thanks for all the opinions!

SAB

The fact that you are this concerned would give credence to the idea that maybe you should postpone. Diehards will tell you that temps don't matter to them - but for someone new to the sport, it's really important that that have a fun experience. At these temps, having a fun experience is much tougher. I'd err on the side of caution and do the trip another weekend.

That said - I'm planning on skiing Friday! But then again, I'm a crazy.

SAB

hammer

SAB said:
Diehards will tell you that temps don't matter to them - but for someone new to the sport, it's really important that that have a fun experience.
I agree with this statement. Actually, I'd say that it's important that everyone have a fun experience. :D

The tough part of this question is that it's subjective; it really depends on how tolerant your wife and 7 YO are to the cold. I know that my wife has a lot less fun if the temps are below 10 degrees in the AM.

dmc

Thank you... Sure it's easy for us that have all the gear to stay warm to say "friggin cold - no problem!"..
But I think we're in the minority...

Lot's of people still use cotton!!!

gores95

FYI I just called Okemo and they recommended cancelling and I did just that. So if you happen to be at Okemo this weekend there will be three less skiiers to get in your way! :cry:

Now I have to hope that weather is more reasonable next weekend...

hammer

gores95 said:
FYI I just called Okemo and they recommended cancelling and I did just that. So if you happen to be at Okemo this weekend there will be three less skiiers to get in your way! :cry:

Sorry you had to cancel...I'm taking a bye this weekend so I'm also hoping for good weather next weekend. I won't be going to Okemo, though, so don't worry about seeing 4 additional skiers on the slopes with you.

dmc

ctenidae said:
You know it's too cold when your boogers freeze before you make it out the door.

Yup... Even through a balaclava... :)

gores95

You know if it was just the cold I might go for it. With this impending snowstorm on Sunday the last thing I want is during the ride back from VT to NJ my wife screaming at me for 400+ miles to slow down. On the bright side I get to watch the AFC & NFC Champ games on Sunday!

No penalty whatsoever to postpone a week so I did it. Thanks.

highpeaksdrifter

gores95 said:

Please don't take this reply the wrong way. If people don't want to ski when it's cold that is their business, but for Okemo to recommend people cancel because of the cold supprises me. I guess it's good service for their customer base, but it bothers me at some level. Their terrain is rather mild, I guess they try to cater to mild weather once in awhile skiers.

RossiSkier

yeah, it was a little odd that Okemo called off a prospective skiier. the person on the phone was obviously not a stockholder. there is a large learing area at Okemo not far from the main lodge. it's easy to get warm after the short blast down the beginner slope. it's not THAT cold. jeeze.

LineSki15

It's probably best that you cancelled the trip. You want to be out there enjoying the outdoors, not cursing it because you have to go inside every hour to warm up.

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
My wife just called and told me it's so cold outside, she'd feel safe with Ted Kennedy driving. (rimshot)

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the veal.

:)

-Stephen

Greg

Staff member
I'm good down to around 0°F depending on the wind. About 15°F - 20°F are my favorite skiing temps.