• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Lange boots

mishka

I'm thinking to replace my old Lange boats with new ones

so far my choice Fluid 80 or 90 2007 or 2008 and 2006 Comp 100. Nobody locally have this models

what is the difference between fluid and comp?
how important 2mm in width difference between 98 mm in WC and 100 mm in other models?
so far I triedonly World Cup 120 in Ski Market store and they are feels very comfortable/slightly tight but I'm not sure if racing boots for me.
also important factor Fluid and Comp priced affordable under $200 8)

by description on Internet Fluid or Comp should be OK for me .... then again this is will be my first new boots :roll:
Tried boots of other manufacturers and they are do not feel the same as Lange.

please help me.

drjeff

In all seriousness, let a good boot fitter make the descion for you about what boot will best fit your foot shape/volume and skiing ability, rather than go into the process with a pre-conceived idea as to what boot you want.

You may pay a little more upfront, but more often than not the increase in on hill enjoyment combined with the decreases in boot aggrevation that a good boot fitter can hook you up with are more than worth it.

mishka

In all seriousness, let a good boot fitter make the descion for you about what boot will best fit your foot shape/volume and skiing ability, rather than go into the process with a pre-conceived idea as to what boot you want.

You may pay a little more upfront, but more often than not the increase in on hill enjoyment combined with the decreases in boot aggrevation that a good boot fitter can hook you up with are more than worth it.

in 2 local small ski shops boot fitters told me about the same "if Lange boot fit's on you definitely go for Lange"

Lange makes limited number of models .Local shops do not have Lange boots. Ski Market have only WC and employee didn't give me much confidence

Last edited:

hammer

Ski Market have only WC and employee didn't give me much confidence
Based on what I've read, I'm not surprised there...

Is there any way that you can make it up to Concord, NH to see Jeff Bokum? He should be able to provide you some good input (and you don't have to buy the boots from the shop that he's next to).

Hawkshot99

how important 2mm in width difference between 98 mm in WC and 100 mm in other models?

**I know absolutely nothing bout Lange** However it is amazing how much the 2mm makes. The difference between a low volume boot(Race style) and large foot boot is enormous. Yet it is only a couple mm. Take a Very wide recreational boot I am familar with, the Technica MODO 8. It is 105mm for the width. 7mm does not seem much, but they are way wider than they seem. My foot slides all over they are so wide, and narrow boots like the 98mm you mention that I have tried on crush my feet.

Do not buy something like that. If the 100mm is comfy, don't just say "It is only 2 mm, it should be fine." Find that model and try them on!!

wa-loaf

**I know absolutely nothing bout Lange** However it is amazing how much the 2mm makes. The difference between a low volume boot(Race style) and large foot boot is enormous. Yet it is only a couple mm. Take a Very wide recreational boot I am familar with, the Technica MODO 8. It is 105mm for the width. 7mm does not seem much, but they are way wider than they seem. My foot slides all over they are so wide, and narrow boots like the 98mm you mention that I have tried on crush my feet.

Do not buy something like that. If the 100mm is comfy, don't just say "It is only 2 mm, it should be fine." Find that model and try them on!!

Better err a little smaller than go to big. It's much easier to stretch something a little than to try to fill in a big boot.

wa-loaf

Yes, but even better to get one that fits good from the beginning:smash:

Sure, but if you are going for a performance or race fit you are getting boots that are 1-2 sizes smaller than your street shoe. You almost always will need a little stretching in those situations.

mondeo

Try a shop listed here: http://www.bootfitters.com. I know Alpine Haus in CT is pretty good, I've heard good things about Northern Ski in VT, and Jeff Bokum's shop is on the list, so I'm guessing it's legit. I'll go to Ski Market for stuff that I know I want (mainly $10 sunglasses and $20 ski poles,) but low confidence in anything else. It isn't that they don't know equipment, it's that they don't know equipment better than other enthusiasts.

MR. evil

Try a shop listed here: http://www.bootfitters.com. I know Alpine Haus in CT is pretty good, I've heard good things about Northern Ski in VT, and Jeff Bokum's shop is on the list, so I'm guessing it's legit. I'll go to Ski Market for stuff that I know I want (mainly $10 sunglasses and $20 ski poles,) but low confidence in anything else. It isn't that they don't know equipment, it's that they don't know equipment better than other enthusiasts.

I cannot coment on Ski Market as a whole. But the one in Avon has an excellent boot fitter named Dave Newman. He also runs the place. If you go there for a fitting it is best to call ahead and make an appointment with him. If you just show up you may not get him as he may be with other customers (or skiing). My wife and I, as well as others on this board have been fitted by the man and he really knows his stuff. I also belive he is listed on www.bootfitters.com.

RISkier

I agree with the "find a good bootfitter" recommendations. Left to our own devices, most of us will try on boots, find a pair that are comfortable in the store, and walk out with boots that are too big. A bootfitter can assess your foot and select boots with lasts that are in the ballpark, then do a shell fit. There will most likely be spots that'll need some grinding and punching before things are just right. But if you're in a shell that fits your foot a good bootfitter can work magic. If you get boots that are too big, well, they're too big and there's nothing that can be done to fix it. I didn't buy boots from Jeff Bokem but he did a bunch of work on my boots and I thought he was very good.

NESkibum

Mishka,
What size boot do you wear. My local shop still has a few pairs of Comp 100 and also has plenty of Fluids. The shop is Jackson's Ski Outlet in Easton, MA so it's not too far for you in Providence.

I'm thinking to replace my old Lange boats with new ones

so far my choice Fluid 80 or 90 2007 or 2008 and 2006 Comp 100. Nobody locally have this models

what is the difference between fluid and comp?
so far I triedonly World Cup 120 in Ski Market store and they are feels very comfortable/slightly tight but I'm not sure if racing boots for me.
also important factor Fluid and Comp priced affordable under $200 8)

by description on Internet Fluid or Comp should be OK for me .... then again this is will be my first new boots :roll:
Tried boots of other manufacturers and they are do not feel the same as Lange.

please help me.

tree_skier

The world cup 130 comes in a world cup fit @ 95 and a HP fit @98 mm
The world cup 100 & 120 is 98 mm
The fluid line is 100mm

They should be very tight. They are changing the world cup lineup for next year so you should be able to get some good deals. I just picked up a pair of world cup 130's wc fit. the back of my mind says I should had gotten the 150's but as skibum keeps pointing out I'am not 25 anymore.

My points of advice.
make sure you try them on before buying. I went down 1.5 sizes from my 6+ year old langes. When your heal is locked in your toes should just touch the end. Your heal should not move up or forward at all in the shop. Look around as there should be a good deal somewhere.

mishka

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

I went with the Langes WC 100 HP from REI. This pair is my 2nd Lange in a row and 1st new boots:dunce:. Out of the box boots fits like a glove with new sidas custom footbed,

powhunter

Im a lange addict also.....just ditched my old (5seasons) L-10s the finally blew out...got a pair of lange 120 WC....the powder blue color is rather gay, but these bitches fit like a glove.....the only problem with lange boots is the break in period sucks

steve