• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Web browsers

What browser do you use mostly?

• Internet Explorer 6.x

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Internet Explorer 5.x

• Internet Explorer 4.x

• Netscape 7.x

• Netscape 6.x

• Netscape 4.x

• Firefox

• Opera

• Safari

• MSN TV (WebTV)

• Other (please post below)

• Total voters

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Every so often Firefox will get a tiny bit confused about where the keyboard focus should be - on the address bar, in a field in a form, or on the web page itself. I've noticed this happen and it gives me behavior like you describe - the copy command isn't actually available because the selection and the focus aren't held by the same widget.

I've never had to restart, though. Just a few clicks here and there to get the two realigned fixes it for me.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
ctenidae, try downloading extensions. get there via tools ---> extensions on the menus bar. also, do you open multiple windows which you can do using multiple tabs in the same window with firefox? firefox also blocks pop ups. if you don't utilize some of the features and just use the browswer "as is" then you probably wouldn't notice a huge amount of difference.

ctenidae

I've looked through the extensions lists, and haven't really found anything particularly useful. I guess I'm just old and ornery, but I do things the way I do them. The popup blocker is nice, though I haven't found it to be any too much better than the Google toolbar (though AdAware doesn't seem to like the Google toolbar, and has no problem with Firefox) I did play with the tabs option, but you can't alt-tab between them, so it's another case of me being stuck in my ways.
It's kind of frustrating, because I know Firefox has many more capabilities than IE, I just haven't found any use for them. I guess, if asked which browser is better, I'd have to give the vague old "Depends on what you're doing" answer.

bvibert

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Well, except it seems to take about 3 times as long for Firefox to startup than IE, but that's probably my computer. It's old and decrepit.

Thats the only thing I've found I don't like with Firefox, it takes forever to load up. My computer isn't too old or decrepit either. The other benefits far outweigh that minor inconvenience for me though...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
start up time is a lot better than netscape and mozilla were, thankfully. i never could use either due to the clunky 10 second wait to access the browser. not being able to alt tab beteen the tabs is the biggest limitation i have found with firefox. i will often hit alt tab expecting to go between tabs and have another window open up on me...

ctenidae

I just noticed the Ctrl+Tab ability last night, but it always goes to the next tab, not the last one you looked at. I didn't get around to downloading the extension to change that.

bvibert

Staff member
ctenidae said:
I just noticed the Ctrl+Tab ability last night, but it always goes to the next tab, not the last one you looked at. I didn't get around to downloading the extension to change that.

I don't use Ctrl+Tab, but I did notice the extension called LastTab that should do what you want. If you download it let us know how it works...

bvibert

Staff member
riverc0il said:
how did i miss that, lol. thanks for the heads up.

I didn't know about it either, but just out of curiosity I was looking for an extension that would give the alt+tab functionality for tabs and stumbled across it...

Greg

Staff member
Greg said:
bvibert said:
Greg said:
Anyone have problems where the copy function randomly stops working in Firefox? I've seen this happen on a number of machines. Restarting the application clears it. The weird thing is the cut command works all the time... :blink:

I haven't noticed any problems, I copy stuff quite often. Are you using the menu, right click, or ctrl+C?
Typically Ctrl-C, but I've noticed that if this starts happening, the Copy command from the Edit menu is greyed out... :blink:
I still experience this quite a bit. Rather annoying...

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
1.0.4 recently came out. not sure if it addressed that problem
Running it... ;(