• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What are you doing right now?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I just got home from visiting my grandparents with my mom. While we were in the car, she was in the phone with my bother and suggested that he go get small to de-stress (in jest):blink:. I haven't talked to him about this yet.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'm in a position today where I have to go against my bosses recommendation on part of a project. His feelings towards one of the steps in my plan, is based solely on a knee-jerk reaction, with out a whole lot of science to back it up. I stayed at work last night until 9:30 so I could run the calculations and put a proposal out to his boss, and the VP of engineering, because I need more weigh in then what he offered me. To make matters worse, my boss is on vacation this week. I really hope he's not pissed at me when he gets back

I'm in a position today where I have to go against my bosses recommendation on part of a project. His feelings towards one of the steps in my plan, is based solely on a knee-jerk reaction, with out a whole lot of science to back it up. I stayed at work last night until 9:30 so I could run the calculations and put a proposal out to his boss, and the VP of engineering, because I need more weigh in then what he offered me. To make matters worse, my boss is on vacation this week. I really hope he's not pissed at me when he gets back

You care too much about your job..I would follow the bosses order..then if things go wrong..it's his fault..

drjeff

Sometimes, yeah. You're not the first person to say that to me. Maybe it's slightly OCD of me, but it drives me nuts when we make bad engineering decisions.

Let me guess Root, its a scenario where you take a bit extra time to do it right now or end up having to spend a bunch of time later to fix the problem after it's been implemented. Stick to your guns if you've got the science to back it up!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Let me guess Root, its a scenario where you take a bit extra time to do it right now or end up having to spend a bunch of time later to fix the problem after it's been implemented. Stick to your guns if you've got the science to back it up!
Basically, but it's also going to take us just a bit longer to deploy if we do it right the first time. If we rush it, it's also going to cost us a lot of $$$ and heartache to clean it up in the future. Thanks doc :beer:

Warp Daddy

Basically, but it's also going to take us just a bit longer to deploy if we do it right the first time. If we rush it, it's also going to cost us a lot of $$$ and heartache to clean it up in the future. Thanks doc :beer:
Rooter : Doc is right on target . When i was a college president i always made it a point to hire people who "Thought OTHERWISE " . As a matter of fact i hired an Executive Assistant to the President who in addition to being chief of staff with serious responsibilities was told by me "YOUR real JOB is to tell me when I am acting like an Ahole and save me from mysel" :DD

Seriously i'd bet your boss was focusing on getting outta Dodge and going on vacation - the morale of the story is if YOU HAVE THE DATA stick to your guns my man

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Rooter : Doc is right on target . When i was a college president i always made it a point to hire people who "Thought OTHERWISE " . As a matter of fact i hired an Executive Assistant to the President who in addition to being chief of staff with serious responsibilities was told by me "YOUR real JOB is to tell me when I am acting like an Ahole and save me from mysel" :DD

Seriously i'd bet your boss was focusing on getting outta Dodge and going on vacation - the morale of the story is if YOU HAVE THE DATA stick to your guns my man
Thanks Warp. The update is my bosses boss, and a bunch of SME's are going to have a meeting on this at noon. Then there's the 1pm meeting with the VP. Should be a good day.

Warp Daddy

Just back from annual eye check up -- no problems--- but dilated big time ---------- maybe should go play some golf at least i have an excuse for 3 putts today :D

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Thanks Warp. The update is my bosses boss, and a bunch of SME's are going to have a meeting on this at noon. Then there's the 1pm meeting with the VP. Should be a good day.
I won and lost....:angry:. I don't like it, but I'm gonna have to live with it.

drjeff

Just back from annual eye check up -- no problems--- but dilated big time ---------- maybe should go play some golf at least i have an excuse for 3 putts today :D

Bet the hole would look awfully big the next couple of hours there Warp ;)

drjeff

Sorry about the lost part there Root. Now if and when the issue that you were trying to prevent now pops up later, atleast you'll get some satisfaction in knowing that you were right!

drjeff

Those are two of the major traits I look for when I'm hiring an assistant. 1) Can they "think outside the box" and 2) will keep me inline from time to time when I get locked into a thought process with the blinders on

The last thing I want to see in an employee is a "robo yesser"

Right now I'm counting down the minutes until lunch!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Sorry about the lost part there Root. Now if and when the issue that you were trying to prevent now pops up later, atleast you'll get some satisfaction in knowing that you were right!
I'm right from a technical standards perspective but the bottom line is we just can't support taking another two months to do it "right".

I'm about at the point where all the engineering behind this project is completed, and I'm ready to turn it over to your technicians to deploy/maintain. I'm almost ready for my next project.

you did what you can do...the fact that you gave up your evening last night for this project shows that you are more dedicated than 99% of all employees..I smell a promotion in your future.

I am back from visiting a few cemeteries..a beautiful day to do some rubbings, photos measurements and screw on bronze death plates....I never even had lunch..I think I'm gonna hit up the local diner afterwork..2 more days of work and then I'm off till the 7th..

Warp Daddy

Those are two of the major traits I look for when I'm hiring an assistant. 1) Can they "think outside the box" and 2) will keep me inline from time to time when I get locked into a thought process with the blinders on

The last thing I want to see in an employee is a "robo yesser"

Right now I'm counting down the minutes until lunch!

That's WHY you are SUCCSSFUL, My good doctor !!! You get IT !! We all need to have great people around us in the work place ( they OFTEN Make us look better than we are :D:D:D)

Warp Daddy

Root Take from me U ARE A WINNER !!

Even tho this one pisses u off , believe me the executives TOOK notice of BOTH your technical know how AND your WILLINGNESS to step up to the plate and CONFRONT issues in a respectful manner ---- LONG TERM -- YOU WIN i'm betting