• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 3/30/2008

Greg

Staff member
Actually, just doing the math quickly in my head. I think Sundown Stands to loose some money by Randi and I getting seaons passes. Even with the savings cards, we spent ALOT there this season.

You need to think bigger than that. If you went 20 times this year but have a pass next year, you might go 25 times. Sure, less $ per day, but more money on burgers, drinks, etc. Maybe you bust a pair of poles and you grab a new set at the shop, etc.

Also, say someone sees your TRs and vids here next season and they decide to check it out becuase of them. Or maybe you bring Randi's nephew a bunch of times, or some other friends of yours come along. Think virally! :cool:

Does anyone know if the season pass prices listed on the Sundown web site are for the 2007/2008 season, or have they been updated for the 2008/2009 season?

They usually update the site in the fall. I do not believe the pass prices went up at all last year. I don't know whether that means it's more likely they will or not for next season.

MR. evil

One more thing. Even if Sundown gives us a dedicated bump trial next season I hope they continue to seed bumps on Ex. I cannot stress how import those bumps on Ex were to Randi and myself. If not for those low pitch bumps I doubt either one of us would be the bump junkies we are now. At the beginning of this year the both of us were scared of the bumps becuase we only ever skied them on steep runs. But thanks to those bumps on Ex, that gave us the confidence to then ski the bumps on Nor Easter and then Temptor. By the end of the season we have both skied the lower 3/4 of Red Line at Magic, Needles Eye liftline at Killington and a couple of weeks ago on our trip to Sugar Bush we hit Paradise and lapped Middle earth several times in a row.

Greg

Staff member
One more thing. Even if Sundown gives us a dedicated bump trial next season I hope they continue to seed bumps on Ex. I cannot stress how import those bumps on Ex were to Randi and myself. If not for those low pitch bumps I doubt either one of us would be the bump junkies we are now. At the beginning of this year the both of us were scared of the bumps becuase we only ever skied them on steep runs. But thanks to those bumps on Ex, that gave us the confidence to then ski the bumps on Nor Easter and then Temptor. By the end of the season we have both skied the lower 3/4 of Red Line at Magic, Needles Eye liftline at Killington and a couple of weeks ago on our trip to Sugar Bush we hit Paradise and lapped Middle earth several times in a row.

There it is right there! You just solidified my feeling that the (almost ridiculously) low angle bumps are a critical component. You're not the only ones either. Both Brian and Grassi went though this progression too. I know Chris S. and company get this. One issue with Temptor being the primary bump run and having bumps skier's right on Ex is it creates a "pinch point" on Exhibition in a critical area because the bump nuts are sure to cross over from the bottom of Temptor to hit the last string of bumps on Ex. I know I did that a few times this year during the lighting issue on Lower Nor'easter.

My suggestion to Chris was to have the bumps like they were during the comp; on skier's left of Nor'easter and Temptor down to the uphill fan gun on Ex. I then suggested opening up an access point from from the Canyon Run flats to the low angle bumps on Lower Temptor. Good signage ("Moguls", "Look Uphill", "Trail Merge", etc.) would be critical so the newbs don't get wiped out by more advanced skiers coming down the Temptor "headwall". It might sort of screw up the flow of the run, but once Temptor flattens out, I really don't care, and if this approach means we get Temptor bumps from the start, I'll live with it. An added benefit is the newbs can see and be inspired by the rippers coming down the steep section. Remember, we want the overall mogul interest to flourish.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I agree with this. While I never skied the bumps on Nor'Easter or Temptor, I did dabble in the Ex bumps. Next year I'd like to spend more time trying them out - but I feel like I really need the low-angle bumps first to get a good feel for what I'm supposed to be doing. Jumping straight into something like a fully bumped up Nor'Easter or Temptor would be too intimidating for the novice, IMHO.

2knees

Another cool idea would be to see if we could convince Sundown to hold a bump clinic or two. I know 2 people that would sign up right now.

you know i wouldve been more then happy to spend some time with you guys if you wanted some pointers. not sure if you want to adopt my style of bump skiing, but i'd be happy to spend a few hours going over some things next year.

MR. evil

you know i wouldve been more then happy to spend some time with you guys if you wanted some pointers. not sure if you want to adopt my style of bump skiing, but i'd be happy to spend a few hours going over some things next year.

II think I am going to have to take you up on that offer. :-D

Are you still thinking about doing the ski instructor thing next season?

2knees

II think I am going to have to take you up on that offer. :-D

Are you still thinking about doing the ski instructor thing next season?

consider it done.

Looking into that or guest services. just something to make a bit of extra coin but more importantly just get me on snow more.

bvibert

Staff member
consider it done.

Looking into that or guest services. just something to make a bit of extra coin but more importantly just get me on snow more.

FYI; Guest Services doesn't get paid anything. They basically get so many ticket vouchers for working a certain amount of hours. But, for the most part, they just have to ski around most of the time anyway. Ski school gets paid as long as they're teaching a lesson.

gmcunni

FYI; Guest Services doesn't get paid anything. They basically get so many ticket vouchers for working a certain amount of hours. But, for the most part, they just have to ski around most of the time anyway.

Not that I'm looking for that job but just curious, are those positions hard to get?

Mikey1

My wife has done Guest Services the last couple of years and really likes it. I may also give it a try next year. You do need to commit to 10 hours per week, but you also receive a set amount of day passess (approx 24). You do spend a lot of time on the snow, but may also end up doing some indoor duties as well. Usually you have to apply during Sundown's annual job fair which is held around Columbus day.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
you guys can relax and ride the bikes now, knowing that we;ll be doing bumps again for 08/09. we'll do a couple mogul comps and try to keep up with the feed back from AZ.

Take a look at the amount of work we're used to doing for events like boarder cross and take a minute to realize, we like moguls here. it makes the place seem like a larger ski area than it is, while providing just enough challenge to get people ready for their vermont trips.

it was a great winter, and i look forward to shreddin nepaug with you guys this summer

have a great "off" season

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks for the post Jarrod, and thanks for all the hard work this season. I can't wait to see what next season brings.

Maybe I'll see you in Nepaug this summer!

Greg

Staff member
Take a look at the amount of work we're used to doing for events like boarder cross and take a minute to realize, we like moguls here. it makes the place seem like a larger ski area than it is, while providing just enough challenge to get people ready for their vermont trips.

Hey Jarrod - I have an idea that will make your job even easier. Just bump up the whole friggin' place! :cool: :lol: Okay - you can groom Tom's. ;)

MRGisevil

consider it done.

Pat you are such an utterly nice guy it hurts sometimes. Can I call you bump-sensei :)??

Greg

Staff member
hey greger.... the graphics guy just noticed that you're seasons pass will be taxed 20 bucks for the royalties on that avatar. sweet huh?

:lol: He caught the one microsecond where I happened to look legit. Good timing.... :razz: