• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 3-30-08

loafer89

Area skied: Sunday River

Date skied: March 30th, 2008 from 8:00am - 2:30pm

Surface conditions: Machine groomed, packed powder, hardpacked, limited spring snow.

Weather: cloudless sky, 22F at 8:00am, 43F at 2:30pm

Warren and I started our day at South Ridge and scored a parking space close to the lodge by arriving at 7:45am. We took our first two runs down a beautifully groomed Dreamaker which had perfect packed powder. We then skied down Grand Rapids to the Spruce Peak Triple and skied American Express which was groomed, but a bit more firm with some icy patches near the bottom of the trail.

Perfectly groomed Dreamaker @8:00am:

GroomedDreamaker.jpg

We skied down Lower Lazy River to the Sunday River Express and skied lazy River to last Tango which had very little loose snow and icy moguls. We made out way back up to North Peak and skied an icy Quantum Leap, followed by a great run down Northern Lights which was the trail of the day.

We skied in Jordan Bowl and Lollapalooza was great and the snow in Blind Ambition was the closest thing to powder that we skied all day and we both flew through the trees. Rogue Angel and Excalibur where great and not icy near the top as they normally are.

We also skied Wizards Gulch which had decent snow, Celestial which was horrible with death cookies galore and Flying Monkey which was mostly hardpacked snow.

Tin Woodsman was crap and like skiing on broken glass mixed with powder and I was happy to get to the bottom of the Oz Chair.

Our last runs of the day where on Last Tango which by 2:00pm had nice soft spring bumps and Top Gun which had enough loose snow to make for easy turns.

Soft afternoon bumps on Last Tango:

LastTango.jpg

My legs are shot after 3 days of skiing and 600 + miles of driving, but we had fun.

Last edited:

Vortex

We found Tango soft. Burnt just got home. Caught the last gondola at Loon on sat and made turns till 3.30 today. Nice weekend. Escapade and 3d were my favorite runs of the day. Well... Black hole was fantastic as well. Wish they did not shut Locke down today. I would have liked to ski there without having to ski out of barker.

AMAC2233

We made out way back up to North Peak and skied an icy Quantum Leap, followed by a great run down Northern Lights which was the trail of the day.

Apart from powder days, is Quantum Leap always icy? Although I have only skied at Sunday River once, I remember skiing that trail and thinking that it must be icy all of the time. I could be wrong, but with the exposure it would seem that way.