• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore 3/30/08

Dr Skimeister

Date(s) Skied: March 30, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Gore

Conditions: PP, Frozen Granular, Some Crud

Trip Report: I got back to Gore today after missing skiing there last season for the first time in 15 years. I clicked in just as the gondola started running. I had the pleasure of riding and conversing with a cool gentleman with an "80+ Club" patch on his jacket that first ride.

It was a bluebird day start to finish. The day started in the teens but warmed to mid-30's by quitting time. The mountain changed tremendously as the day went on. All in all, great coverage on all trails. Some of the trails off of the High Peaks, especially Lies, got pretty well scraped by afternoon, but still held edges well.

The trails of the day were Open Pit and Hawkeye in the High Peaks area, Topridge and Uncas off the gondola and Twister and Wild Air on the lower mountain for cruising/carving.

As I said, I missed skiing Gore last season and not until today this season. I was impressed with the new Lincoln Logs lodge and the refurbishing of the base lodge. Is it just a function of geography or is there another reason this fine mountain doesn't seem to get any love from AZ?

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Nice report Doc , I too think Gore is a best kept secret for some reason -- go figure ??? . We missed it this year but need to get back next season

jfrenchu

gore

I thought that till this year.presidents day weekend parking went all the way to peaceful valley road!still it manages crowds well.my mtn of choice most of the time.just got back from okemo where it looked like feb.extended the closing to the 20th of April

tommy5402

Was there as well. Arrived at 9:45 and had to park in the overflow lot. Saw cars parked on the access road when I left too. Great day!

twinplanx

Dang, I had my two-way radio on I just didn't shout-out to any AZers who might be listening. Gore really don't get the love here and might be why I didn't really think about the radio to much. Would of been nice to actually meet other AZers. For what its worth the worst crowding at Gore is in the parking lots, often times the base has significant crowding as well, but once ya get to the goods its smooth sailing. Also tends to thin out after noon on Sunday.

jfrenchu

gore

where do you guys usually stay? Inn at Gore is close, cheap & on the funky side but we think its ok for a night or 2.wondering about any other motels.we stay at a nice house behind the bank in north creek if you need a 4 br this is good.Its on the gore lodging site somewhere,Was actually thinking about making it down on the 12th if the weather holds

tommy5402

This past weekend I stayed at the hampton inn in lake george. Was thinking maybe the alp horn this weekend to save a few bucks. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

jfrenchu

gore

never stayed there but I bet its nice,the restaurant there is good,checking the website it looks nicer than alot of the competition at that price.chestertown is 10 miles away I think maybe a tad less.another lake george option is the motel right at the exit best western?I forget but its right there at the exit on the right before you get to LG.off season rates apply there AAA discount,probably 70 p/n.I'd check alphorn.also heard black mtn ski lodge is worth checking

Dr Skimeister

I always stay at the Super 8 in Warrensburg. Right at the Northway exit. AAA rate is around $58 + tx. Half hour drive to Gore.

twinplanx

You guys should check out SKIADK.com - Gore section. Lots of helpful Gore enthusiasts.

I have, but find that forum kind of sleepy compared to AZ, no offense HPD. I'm assuming I'd have to register to post there,? my AZ account will not work over there?

By the way HPD is the best "screenname" and I read your report on the Slides at Whiteface, very cool

highpeaksdrifter

I have, but find that forum kind of sleepy compared to AZ, no offense HPD. I'm assuming I'd have to register to post there,? my AZ account will not work over there?

By the way HPD is the best "screenname" and I read your report on the Slides at Whiteface, very cool

No offense taken. I know SKIADK can never be what AZ is, but it can be a good source of info for people interested in Gore and WF. I'm hoping to increase the traffic over there. You would have to registar there to.