• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pats Peak - 03/30/08

hammer

Date(s) Skied: 3/30/08

Resort or Ski Area: Pats Peak, NH

Conditions: Groomed PP in AM, softened up in PM

Trip Report: Nice day at Pats Peak yesterday. Conditions in the morning were groomed packed powder on all trails in the AM, and it softened up nicely in the afternoon. Didn't ski Hurricane but the bumps looked a bit icy in the morning and no one was skiing it...saw more people on it in the afternoon.

One thing that I was surprised by was the crowds...there weren't too many people in the AM but after lunch there was a 5 - 10 minute line on the peak triple and peak double. Trails were reasonably clear, though.

The main reason I went was to try out my new skis (Magfire 10, 168 cm). Think I'm going to have some fun with these...not sure if they will be ideally suited for mach schnell runs on hardpack, but they're pretty easy to turn and they were stable in the soft afternoon snow. The binding mount point is a lot more forward than my old Atomics...makes the skis feel shorter but it also seemed to make them more forgiving of the times when I got in the back seat. I'll have to get used to having more ski behind me, though.

Looks like Pats Peak will try to open up next weekend. Unless we get a major melt over the week, it looks like they should have plenty of snow cover left. I'd recommend going if you want to get out for some spring skiing but can't make it further north...

Last edited:

tcharron

You summed everything up pretty well, sorry it took a day or two, but here are some pictures from Sat/Sat night. Hammer, you can change the trip report icon to show it has pics from the day before if you want. :-D

From the Lodge:
0329081800.jpg

Views of Hurricane:
0329081830.jpg

0329081831a.jpg

0329081830a.jpg

Quick view of some of the powder available after Fridays snow:
0329081829.jpg

One of the green trails as the lift went over:
0329081828.jpg

Shameless pic of my son on the lift: :-D
0329081831.jpg