• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ascutney - 3/29/08

rocojerry

Date(s) Skied: 3/29/2008

Resort or Ski Area: Ascutney

Conditions: Groomed PP, Light Powder 4-6" deep, freshies still to be had last run.

Trip Report:
Solo run for me to Ascutney, was going to head over to Stratton since at this point in the season I have a use-or-lose voucher, and the 10" reported was very tempting -- Opt'd for an extra half-hour of sleep and used a compd ticket instead to Ascutney.

I figured nobody was at Ascutney on Friday, and when I pulled into the parking lot around first chair there was about 8 cars in the whole lot. For 'Reggae Fest' I was expecting a few more cars(50 by end of day?), but I guess it was mostly the area home-owners on the hill..

Since I was flying solo, camera came out a lot more than usual. I guess one run I forgot to fully zip the pocket up though and lost my Camera/Cell Phone! (Sony Ericsson Cybershot k790a), but it managed to upload a few shots to Flickr before it fell out of my pocket(Shozu rocks). Pictures here, more if I get my phone back.
Update: It was in a waterproof case, and someone turned it into lost-n-found the next day!

Started the day with Free Fall, Touch-N-Go, Bushwacker and Whispering Pines... Wow, I was expecting frozen mashed potatoes, but instead it was still winter! and Ascut was serving up light pow, prob 4" deep but drifts and even deeper in the woods!! Around 10 they opened up the Quad, got 1st chair on that.. Although ski patrol had put up a roped/benched/patrol sleds blockade across Blind Faith(must have been 'too icy' underneath). The Neverglades were a ton of fun if you like some open glade runs with some good drops. Deliverance was nice and untracked, due to the 'closed' but you can't read this small signs.

2370922457_12b80cb453_b_d.jpg

Since the top of Blind Faith was shut off, Heavenly -- the powder filled run in some of my photo's was not obviously accessible. I made a nice little traverse over from Gateway, and enjoyed 1st, 2nd, 3rd tracks down Heavenly and Trust Me. Secret got out, and by later afternoon some folks had started ducking Blind Faiths tempting rope. Upon inspection, that layer of 'ice' under the 4" of snow was only about a half inch thick and broke in the afternoon sun pretty easily. Upper Exhibition was a soft bumpy blast. Groomers? According to some regulars on the chair, they said more runs were groomed than usual, but I come here for their lack of grooming and conservation of powder policy.

Ascutney, after it snows -- a place where you can sign your name-line on the hill, and see it on the chairlift up... I had a blast!
2383530078_b4330fbcc2_b.jpg

Last edited: