• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Mountain bike ride - CT/MA area

Greg

Staff member
So just register you slacker. It's a good site for MTB info... ;)

Okay, fair enough. Done. Nice pics, Tim. Looks like some of the stuff I used to ride.

What would you guys recommend for clipless pedals and shoes? Something cheap and reasonable for a guy just revisiting singletrack after many years. I used to use toe cages on my old Trek, but I think I'd like to start with clipless this go around. I can't imagine taking platforms off the cruiser terrain.

Greg

Staff member
What would you guys recommend for clipless pedals and shoes? Something cheap and reasonable for a guy just revisiting singletrack after many years. I used to use toe cages on my old Trek, but I think I'd like to start with clipless this go around. I can't imagine taking platforms off the cruiser terrain.

Is something like this good enough to start with?

Greg

Staff member
I'll be happy to show you some fun doubletrack and dirt road riding up at White Memorial in Litchfield/Morris to get you back into the swing of things.

I might head up there sometime this week just to get fool around. I used to hike around there. Lemme go a few times solo to get my wind up and figure out how to do it again. I wouldn't want to slow you up...

bvibert

Staff member
Those are probably fine. Just keep in mind that the crank bros pedals don't have adjustable release tension like SPD pedals do. Might not be a big deal, but a lot of folks just getting into clipless like to lower the tension to make it easier to get out until they get used to it. Also shoes are something that you want to make sure you have a good fit in (sorta like ski boots) so buying them online may not yield the best results.

I might head up there sometime this week just to get fool around. I used to hike around there. Lemme go a few times solo to get my wind up and figure out how to do it again. I wouldn't want to slow you up...

That sounds fine, but you need not worry about holding me up. I'm sure you're in better shape than I am...

I do most of my riding in the area around what is called 5 ponds (I think), which is to the right of 63 on the [urlhttp://www.whitememorialcc.org/map1large.html]map[/url], and the dirt roads that are behind it. I usually make a loop that includes at least a small section of the trails across 63 too.

Greg

Staff member
I can hook ya up with some pedals got a few sets kicking around

steve

That would be great. Just something basic to get me started...

Those are probably fine. Just keep in mind that the crank bros pedals don't have adjustable release tension like SPD pedals do. Might not be a big deal, but a lot of folks just getting into clipless like to lower the tension to make it easier to get out until they get used to it. Also shoes are something that you want to make sure you have a good fit in (sorta like ski boots) so buying them online may not yield the best results.

Thanks for the feedback.

That sounds fine, but you need not worry about holding me up. I'm sure you're in better shape than I am...

I do most of my riding in the area around what is called 5 ponds (I think), which is to the right of 63 on the [urlhttp://www.whitememorialcc.org/map1large.html]map[/url], and the dirt roads that are behind it. I usually make a loop that includes at least a small section of the trails across 63 too.

Yeah, that's the area I hiked in. Lots of doubletrack in there IIRC. I'm sure you're in far better biking shape than I am....

powhunter

I even have a pair of shoes for ya...if ya clean the cheese out they should last ya a season

steve size 10

Paul

Hey Steve, if you've still got any SPD pedals kicking around, I'd be innerested. Wrong size shoe, tho' But pedals would be kewl.

MR. evil

Greg,
I wouldn’t worry too much about clipless pedals and shoes just yet. Just get out and ride several times, then get your shoes and pedals. For your first few times back on the bike worrying about clipping in and out is the last thing you want to think about.

For a good site for all things outdoor, check out www.spadout.com. The site doesn’t sell anything, but provides links to sites that sell what you are looking for, and also shows what sites carry it the cheapest.

The type of pedals you get (SPD vs CrankBrothers) is a personal preference. I have been using SPDs for 10 years and have never had a problem. I recently purchased a pair of Crank Brothers Acid 1 pedals and I am still getting used to them. I may switch back to my SPDs if the new ones don’t grow on me soon. If you don’t have one look into getting a Camback as well as some basic tools to take with you on a ride.

*Chain tool
*All in one bike tool
*Tire levers (to remove tire)
*A couple of spare tubes (one is usually enough, but I have blown two in one ride)
*A small pump or CO2 inflator (I prefer a pump, don’t like the idea of something explosive in my back pack)

powhunter

im pretty much open...something not to gnar since its my first ride....you guys are from htfd??? do ya do case in manchester ever???

MR. evil

im pretty much open...something not to gnar since its my first ride....you guys are from htfd??? do ya do case in manchester ever???

Actually we live in MA, we just work in Hartford.

I haven't ridden Case in well over 6 years. Wouldn't mind going back. What time are thinking of riding?

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Greg,
I wouldn’t worry too much about clipless pedals and shoes just yet. Just get out and ride several times, then get your shoes and pedals. For your first few times back on the bike worrying about clipping in and out is the last thing you want to think about.

For a good site for all things outdoor, check out www.spadout.com. The site doesn’t sell anything, but provides links to sites that sell what you are looking for, and also shows what sites carry it the cheapest.

The type of pedals you get (SPD vs CrankBrothers) is a personal preference. I have been using SPDs for 10 years and have never had a problem. I recently purchased a pair of Crank Brothers Acid 1 pedals and I am still getting used to them. I may switch back to my SPDs if the new ones don’t grow on me soon. If you don’t have one look into getting a Camback as well as some basic tools to take with you on a ride.

*Chain tool
*All in one bike tool
*Tire levers (to remove tire)
*A couple of spare tubes (one is usually enough, but I have blown two in one ride)
*A small pump or CO2 inflator (I prefer a pump, don’t like the idea of something explosive in my back pack)

The "Alien" tool is a multi tool with a great chain tool on it, it also has tire levers but they suck so buy some real ones. As far as pedals go, i rode "SPD"s for years...like 10...and never had a problem until I wanted a clipless pedal with some platform. After going thru a coupla pairs of shimano pedals at 130 bucks each, I went to Time pedals and could not believe how much better the mechanism works. The only other things would be several laps of duct tape around your mini pump and some zip ties. And a crank bolt sized allen if the multi tool doesn't have it.